Options

Backing up data!

ThomasITguyThomasITguy Banned Posts: 181
Just wanted to share a story with everyone.... and how I learned the hard way to back up my data to a external HD and create a additional backup somewhere else...

I had a bunch of music over 3,000 songs and one day my HD stopped connecting to the computer because the little pin connection broke... thinking there was nothing else I could do... I threw the HD away... (I could have bought a new case for it and it may have worked)

There was also a customer that came in, and her phone broke (cute female too) but she did not have a micro SD card to backup her photos too.... then when she bought one, the files would not move and some were already lost....

the moral of the story is.... backup data! and back it up again! the most common thing people loose is pictures, videos, and music.

any other stories?

icon_study.gif

Comments

• Options
    TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You have to get in on that hot tape backup
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think a common "mistake" for IT people is trying to dual boot Linux with windows and selecting the wrong option, Linux will boot but windows is gone :D and there is no backup :D .. then trying to recover the lost files :D

It happened to me, and I am sure it happened to thousand like me :D
  • Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Ya i'm super **** w/ my backups, i run RAID1 on my data disk (physically separate from my OS drive) then i back that up nightly to an external hard drive. Then every month or so do a straight copy / paste to a separate external drive that i take elsewhere.

Ya, i don't want to lose my data... It's really simple too, only manual part is the taking my other drive offsite.
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    My backup scheme:

C drive (OS & Programs)
    --Nightly full image via Acronis to a 3tb internal slave drive, save the last 14 days of backups.

D drive (files, docs, music, pics, vids)
    --First weekend of every month I copy & paste to a spare external hdd I keep hidden under a rolled up sleeping bag in my basement and only pull out once a month. Also copy the most recent C drive backup there, too.
    --First weekend of every month I copy & paste to a spare external hdd I keep in my work desk and only pull out & take home once a month. Also copy the most recent C drive backup there, too. This is my offsite backup in case of fires, lucky thieves, etc.

All encrypted. Acronis' built-in AES256 for the C drive, Bitlocker for the externals.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I used to work for backup company, and one day we got a call from a customer in Belgium. House fire and these lost everything. Computer, local backup, photo albums, etc. Then they remembered they backed up to the cloud. Told them to call us back when they got their new computer. Hours later, they had the new computer, software installed, and restoring their pictures. They had 2 yr old twins, and were distraught that they lost everything.

Fast forward a week, and support gets a box shipped overnight - filled with Belgian chocolates and a thank you for saving their images!

Moral of the story - always have more than one backup and in more than one location.
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My backup strategy is not very good.

I have a "Slave" SSD that I use for Weekly full backup of C: Drive + Hourly file history.

whenever I hear about a new cryptovirus or someone losing their files I copy the backup to an external HDD sitting on my desk icon_exclaim.gif

in case of fire or theft I will lose everything . . .
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    People truly learn once they get burned by not having proper backups.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I had a bunch of music over 3,000 songs and one day my HD stopped connecting to the computer because the little pin connection broke... thinking there was nothing else I could do... I threw the HD away... (I could have bought a new case for it and it may have worked)

This happened to me a few months ago. I had two 1TB external drives (older one needed to plugged into a power outlet and the newer one was just USB). Since I was moving to Europe I figured I could give the older one away since the power outlets are different. A week after I gave it away my son dropped my newer drive and it is no longer operational. All of my media gone. icon_sad.gif
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    As far as can recall I've never lost anything I couldn't replace mainly because i'm a backup freak. I always keep an onsite backup of my important data plus an online encrypted copy. I am using AWS Glacier which offers super cheap "cold" storage. Everything is backed up locally to a central spot and then encrypted before shipping off to AWS. I can't recommend this solution enough.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I have a NAS in which my backup lies. However, during a thunderstorm one time, the power went out and killed my NAS. I could not get the darned thing to work. I called support (at the time, it was a Buffalo drive). Customer support lambasted me for not disconnecting the drive during a T-storm (I was not home!). So, I strongly disagreed with that remark. Anyway, got a replacement for free (but now have a LACIE). I now do backups to my NAS, but also to another drive on another computer..just in case. It is scary losing files.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....