Options

CEH after CISSP is that make sense, or not much?

SeabSeab Member Posts: 127
Hi guys,

I think CEH can complet nicely CISSP in some domains and it is going well together.
What you guys think about that? icon_wink.gif

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    ThomasITguyThomasITguy Banned Posts: 181
    CISSP is more Managerial. Some people in the office I work in have that cert.... it is nothing like CEH. CEH deals with Ethical hacking, Network protection etc... CISSP teaches about IT risk and management, and security from a managers standpoint. Also CEH really does not teach much about hacking, it just deals with the methods and tools... It depends on where you want to go... but CEH after CISSP is not worth it...
    What certs do you have now and what are you working toward? Do you have the fundamentals down packed?
  • Options
    SeabSeab Member Posts: 127
    I started in Infosec about 9y ago. At the moment, I am in between mngt and technical working with both. Cissp cover both, wide, but not deep! As an info sec expert I feel like CEH would give me deeper technical knowledges. I don't want to become pentester, but having deeper knowledges to take better decisions.
  • Options
    ThomasITguyThomasITguy Banned Posts: 181
    Its nothing wrong with studying CEH material... but that is mainly dealing with hacking, and network security and learning how to use Kali Linux, metasploit, etc...
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Have you checked out the eJPT, eCPPT or OSCP along with the CEH?
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If it isn't too late, I recommend skip CEH and go OSCP. Light years of difference. OSCP is tougher and doesn't get as widespread recognition, but for those who know you'll earn MUCH more respect and will have learned a lot more
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    Currently studying for C|EH.

IMO, there is alot of overlapping material between C|EH and CISSP, as I've studied to take this cert a few years ago. Once I successfully complete C|EH, I will turn my attention to CISSP.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    CyberSecurityCyberSecurity Member Posts: 85 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If it isn't too late, I recommend skip CEH and go OSCP. Light years of difference. OSCP is tougher and doesn't get as widespread recognition, but for those who know you'll earn MUCH more respect and will have learned a lot more

On point with this description. A lot of HR people don't know the difference between CEH and OSCP, just that CEH is part of the DoD 8570.1 which requires a CEH for some positions instead of OSCP. From what i've heard OSCP is way more respected by the technical people.
    Ph.D. IT [UC] - 50% complete
    M.S.C.I.A. [WGU] - Completed 6/2018
    B.S.I.T.M. [WGU] - Completed 4/2017
  • Options
    splash24splash24 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Cleared CISSP in August , CISM in December and CEH in April.I am not OCSP guy for sure icon_smile.gif so CEH did help me bridge the technical ethical hacking concepts esp.The labs.So my suggestion is to go for it if you would like to understand the technical concepts with ethical hacking.Example : We know as a manager how to remediate poodle , heart bleed , bash etc., CEH labs helped me understand how it actually happens with the help of Kali linux , packet capture ,meterpreter payloads etc.This learning is not waste for sure if you are in managerial work , helps to bridge the gap with the tech resources you are managing, not that it's mandatory though because i have been managing them for the past 6 years without the cert but its fun discussing the topics.
  • Options
    clarkincnetclarkincnet Member Posts: 256 ■■■□□□□□□□
    splash24 wrote: »
    Cleared CISSP in August , CISM in December and CEH in April.I am not OCSP guy for sure icon_smile.gif so CEH did help me bridge the technical ethical hacking concepts esp.

I just cleared the CISSP and am taking the CEH for the same reason listed above. I have registered for the CISM in December.
    Give a hacker an exploit, and they will have access for a day, BUT teach them to phish, and they will have access for the rest of their lives!

Have: CISSP, CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, ITIL-F