Options

Associates Degree and helpdesk?

Chrisbari14Chrisbari14 Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello all,

I'm currently working in a help desk position and I've been working here for about a year. This was my first IT position. In my company we have the IT director than you have me. I recieve issues via a ticketing system, and I install cameras, install software, troubleshoot hardware issues, troubleshoot printer issues, configure Active directory, troubleshoot scales, configure our Ups and Fedex machines and a number of other things. I have my Associates Degree in Networking, and I am scheduling to take my N+, A+, and S+. I have a performance evaluation coming up and I feel that I don't make enough money. We support about 100 users and a warehouse as well. What would be a decent raise I should ask? Also, I've been offered the server admin position but I will need to go ahead and get the certs listed above, as well as my Msca windows 10 desktop and my Msca sever 2012. I live in Tennessee too since I know it varies from each state.

Comments

• Options
    quickman007quickman007 Member Posts: 195
    What are you currently making? Are you hourly or salary? Are you on call?
  • Options
    I'm making currently 14.38 a hour and I work Monday - Friday from 8-5.
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I work in a Help Desk as well... Honestly the Help Desk starting does not pay well or the way it should.. but getting your feet wet should be the most important thing right now. Since this is your first IT job I really would not ask for a raise... others may say differently and Im interested to see what they have to say. But as a young grasshopper in the IT world, your experience, plus your certs, will give you more money. You are right, start with your A+ Net+ sec+ get your MCSA and keep growing. Your first IT job is not going to pay well... but use that as a stepping stone to get better and learn as much as you can.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would say do your research on what people make around your area for the duties that you perform. Get some Glassdoor and salary.com data and outline all of the extra things you do beyond what you were hired for. Most places don't give out raises from my experience unless your job title changes. So if you present your case and they say no, I would ask what they'd like from you to be promoted.
  • Options
    Thanks ITspectre I appreciate the response. Yea that's true I suppose. I mean I'm only 22 so I have a ton of stuff to learn and I've learned a lot since here. Maybe I need to just relax and appreciate the experience? I've been told that my first IT job isn't going to be one that's great. But I have a lot of room to advance at this company so I have that to look forward to as well.
  • Options
    quickman007quickman007 Member Posts: 195
    Markulous gives good advice. Do some research like he said and find out what's the norm for that area. That seems like pretty normal pay for your situation, though.