Options

CCNA + unrelated B.A.

TechytachTechytach Member Posts: 140
Got my CCENT, bout to get my CCNA.

I have a bachelors degree but it is in a completely unrelated field (psychology.)

Does it matter that I even have a B.A.?

How bad will that be when I start job hunting with a CCNA + unrelated B.A. + no job experience?

Anyone else with a similar experience in starting out?

Should I aim for lesser jobs, internships?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It depends on the job description. Some jobs require a B.A. but are not specific on what the B.A. has to be in.... others may require you to have a B.A. in Cyber Security, Networking, Computer Science, or Systems Administration.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    EotnakEotnak Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It depends on the company, however, with CCNA + unrelated degree + no experience don't settle for a helpdesk job. You are in better shape than people without degrees. Go get an entry level networking job and gain experience. Promotions will favor you once you have the experience because of that degree regardless of what it is for or where it's from. Think of it from an employer's perspective...Are you going to throw out a resume because you don't like the content of a degree? Not if you know what you are doing.
  • Options
    Sy KosysSy Kosys Member Posts: 105 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I say have fun with it...a lot of troubleshooting is patterns and behavior, leverage that psych degree to 1's and 0's ;)
    "The size of your dreams must always exceed your current capacity to achieve them. If your dreams do not scare you, they are not big enough.”
    ― Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
  • Options
    TechytachTechytach Member Posts: 140
    Sy Kosys wrote: »
    I say have fun with it...a lot of troubleshooting is patterns and behavior, leverage that psych degree to 1's and 0's ;)

Love that! Will have to try to work that angle in somehow hah.