Options

Commuting Time to Work

2»

Comments

• Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    its about a 90 minute commute for me for just about any job unless you want to make entry level wages your whole career. i could move closer but the housing market goes up and up the closer you get. so i would need to be about 6 figures to live anywhere closer. there are a handful of jobs about 30 minutes away but those jobs are highly sought after. makes it very difficult to make it around here
  • Options
    cknapp78cknapp78 Member Posts: 213 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ITSpectre wrote: »
    If I ever get a job in Bmore imma look you up icon_cheers.gif

Definitely!
  • Options
    RHELRHEL Member Posts: 195 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I once had to commute 30mins each way for 1.5 years. I thought THAT was awful. I can't imagine an hour each way... No way.

Currently my commute is 5-7mins each way depending on traffic. I WFH on Mondays and have Fridays off in the Summer (flex time).
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I can jog faster than that. That's probably what I would do in that situation......

By the time you factor our ridiculously fast-changing weather that option is discarded quickly.
  • Options
    byron66byron66 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Chevel wrote: »
    I used to commute 1hr and 30 minutes to reach my job. Honestly it wasn't bad ( as there was no traffic lol) just a few small towns. I'm actually looking commuting 6 hours round trip if need be. It would suck but the job market stinks around here.

I wouldn't have to worry about traffic because it would be 2nd shift but 6 hours round trip Jesus man. Heck you should just sleep in the car.
    CCNA   A+   N+  Sec+
  • Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    180 miles daily, usually 90-100 minutes one way depending on traffic. I will be transitioning into a work-from-home environment soon, though, so it's worth the pain.
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Anything more than 30 minutes is a deal breaker for me, life is too short to be spending it stuck on a train or in a car etc.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    there are only a handful of businesses within about a 30 minute commute so at a minimum i am looking at 30 minutes. my last job was 35 minutes (23 miles) and anything closer is very limited. to make any decent money around here i would have to travel over 50 miles and about 75-90 minutes. it sucks. and to move closer would put my housing costs to a point where i would need to make about a 60% jump in wages. not easy to do at all
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dhay13 wrote: »
    there are only a handful of businesses within about a 30 minute commute so at a minimum i am looking at 30 minutes. my last job was 35 minutes (23 miles) and anything closer is very limited. to make any decent money around here i would have to travel over 50 miles and about 75-90 minutes. it sucks. and to move closer would put my housing costs to a point where i would need to make about a 60% jump in wages. not easy to do at all

It depends on if you have a family or not... if you have no family and its just you.... depending on how you are with other people, you could rent out a room from someone who lives close to where you work at.... I have done it before and I don't mind doing it again. That allows you to keep the cost of gas, living, and expenses low while you have a short commute to work.... and then pocket the extra money.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    nope. married with children...lol. not an option
  • Options
    RoyalRavenRoyalRaven Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    45-50 min avg, sometimes more than an hr, mostly highway. I have kids and absolutely hate it now. Was fine for a while when I started the hike, but now with my kids involved with more extracurricular activities, it's downright painful. I try to stick to a slightly different schedule to avoid the typical traffic, but get stuck in it anyway with early practices or activities for them. I also see them less than my previous job (not good).

My vehicles are taking on serious wear/tear. Eats into my costs.

Another issue is that "most" of the places I frequent as a consumer are in the opposite way than I go to for work. It's very difficult to get errands done without taking significant time off and its a real pita to get my yard mowed now.

Now that I've been on both sides (close commute vs. longer commute), I will never opt for longer commute again. Forget money or opportunity. I'd rather enjoy life. It feels like I have less time for anything else. I'm tired more than I've ever been before. Think very hard about the commute, it will wear you down.

I will say though, just like powerfool mentioned, Pimsleur learning is taking my German language skills to a new level!
  • Options
    Russell77Russell77 Member Posts: 161
    I drive 50 to 55 miles one way depending on the route but most days it takes an hour flat each way because it's almost all highway. I thought I would move after 6 months if I liked the job. It's been 15 months, I love the job but I am no closer to moving. We have owned our home for 20 years and pulling out now is going to take a big effort. My wife is working less which makes this much easier. I picked up a good used corolla and replaced the stereo. Listen to a lot of music on the way. The morning drive almost never bothers me but the afternoon can get old during the last 20 miles. Very little in life is permanent so if you just keep in mind that this is only for now it will feel better.