First "Real" job interview advice

Justin400Justin400 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Give me all the advice you have for my first job interview in a tech support position.

Comments

• markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If it's entry-level, be prepared to tell them how you would work through challenges and issues you don't know. A lot of the questions will likely be based on customer service also (e.g. Tell me about a difficult situation you've had with customer).
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Here is some advice.

1. Eat before you go. - Its nothing worse then hearing your stomach growl during the interview
    2. Arrive at least 15-30 mins before the interview start time - Gives you time to use the restroom, get to where your going, and fill out the paper application (if any)
    3. Know and research the company - Know who is the CEO, CIO, IT director, and what the company does... Know where their other offices are and where the HQ is... know about what they did, do, and currently do. If they have a blog read it, if they have a FB, twitter, or instagram look at that too...
    4. Don't be nervous... You will be at first but once the interview gets going you will calm down.
    5. Know your stuff... Know the job description, what they are looking for, what you are looking for, know what is in the job description.
    6. Know your tech stuff. Depening on the job they are going to ask you basic to advanced tech questions... a few examples are
    - What is a IP address
    - What is the difference between DHCP and Static
    - How do I find my IP address
    - How would you handle a irate and mean customer who calls into the desk
    - What is one thing you are weak in or what skill do you think needs improvement
    - What is your strength
    - What do you want to do in your IT career
    - How would you troubleshoot IE if a user cannot get online
    - How would you walk a user through their outlook profile
    - Know the basics of outlook and Internet explorer troubleshooting... ALL companies use these two things
    - Know how to troubleshoot if a user cannot start their PC and what you would do
    7. Take notes. bring a notepad and jot down some things they say that you may need elaboration on
    And last but not least

8. ALWAYS ask questions at the end...
    - What constitutes success at this role
    - What is the management like
    - What are the resources I have at this job
    - What is the next step in the hiring process

Hope this helped
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Also 1 thing I forgot to mention.... and I have read and seen other people say this.

9. Send a thank you email to the Manager/Managers that interviewed you. Let them know you valued their time for interviewing you, and send the email either when you get home or the next day.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Be yourself, relax , speak the truth and listen to the advise of the above posts. All the best.
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    To you, this being your first interview its a BIG DEAL. But (and I hate to say this) its likely it wont be your last interview in this search. Knowing that, you should not get to stressed out about this ONE interview. Take it serious, do everything mentioned above but don't forget its not like everything is riding on this one interview!

Go, do your best and hope for the best but at the same time use this interview as a training tool for the next interview. Have a pen and paper ready in your car for when you get out and right down anything you think you did poorly at.

Make notes, go home, improve. Get ready for your next interview and keep on bettering yourself at each one.
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    1. Be yourself. I want to interview you not who you think I want to be
    2. Not knowing the answer that isn't an issue. Explain to me how you'd work through it to find the issue.
    (It is okay to say I don't know)
    3. Anything on your resume is fair game.
    4. See what ITSpectre said
  • CyberSecurityCyberSecurity Member Posts: 85 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Having done interviews and been through a ton, here are some of the questions i've been asked, and asked:
    1) What's the difference between x64 and x86 in regards to memory sizes in windows 8?
    2) What's your greatest weakness?
    3) What's Port 20?
    4) What's Port 21?
    5) What port is TFTP?
    6) What items are inside of your car's glovebox right now? (organization question)

just some ideas for you to think about...
    Ph.D. IT [UC] - 50% complete
    M.S.C.I.A. [WGU] - Completed 6/2018
    B.S.I.T.M. [WGU] - Completed 4/2017