Options

Vlan routing

SyfusionSyfusion Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey friends, I take the CCENT on monday! In the meantime I was playing with packet tracer and tried to make a routed vlan but for some reason the port on the router is amber and when I do show ip interfaces brief the vlan is down/down even though the interface is not shutdown. I have trunking setup between the switch and router and the switch looks fine just don't understand why the router port is amber or whats causing the down/down status for the vlan.

Comments

• Options
    Mike RMike R Member Posts: 148 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Did you issue the no shutdown command ?
  • Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    are the ports using the same trunking protocol
  • Options
    Yea, the fastE interfaces are up and talking its just the fastE on the router is amber, the vlan interface itself is down/down despite no shut being issued. Both switch and router FastE are in trunking and allowing my vlan.
  • Options
    james43026james43026 Member Posts: 303 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Are you talking about an SVI? AKA a layer 3 virtual port on a L3 switch? If so, then that SVI is going to show down until a port is assigned to it's VLAN. The port doesn't need to be in the up/up state. It just needs to be assigned to the same vlan as the SVI. If an SVI isn't what you are talking about, then I would suggest posting a running config, and provide more details about the issue.
  • Options
    Thanks James! thats what it was, I assigned another interface vlan access on the router and the router turned the vlan on and everything is working. I take the CCENT today so wish me luck
  • Options
    Belated good luck. How did you do?
  • Options
    Passed with a 807/804 very close, made me go back and study a little more before working through the ICND2 book
  • Options
    Phillies8607Phillies8607 Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options