Options

Nomorobo - Love It!

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
Like most of you I was getting bombarded by telemarketing calls. I did just about everything a reasonable (and probably unreasonable person has done). Asked to be removed from the list, asked to be removed from the company list that the telemarketer worked for (often it's an outside company thus you have to ask who they are calling for and asked to be removed from that list, then ask to be removed from their employers list), yelled and eventually just not answer anymore. Soon not only was I getting calls to my home phone, but my cell phone became a target as well.

I have an Android phone and thankfully found a program called Mr. Number which makes it easy to block numbers and not deal with. But the home phone was still an issue. I was getting quite literally 20 calls a day and frankly the telemarketers were just getting more rude. Hang up as soon as I asked to be removed from the list or laugh at the request. Finally I did some research and found Nomorobo. It is completely free and it's inventor won a contest setup by the FTC for the best solution to block telemarketers. You setup your account and then setup simultaneous ring. Each call is analyzed to see if it is on the list of blocked calls and if so your phone rings once that's it. I set it up on Tuesday and as of today I have not gotten one telemarketing call. If one gets through you are able to report it and if by accident something is blocked you can unblock it.

Figured I'd post about my experience in case anyone else was searching for a way to stop the madness!
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    NetworkNewb: it is a thing with a wire (or 2 wires) :D .. I have a line that comes with my internet service, I never bothered to connect it.

Back to topic, we do not have a calls issue, however we receive a ridiculous amount of SMS every day, my wife disabled the SMS notification, I can't do that so I purchased an android app called (SMS Blocker. Clean Inbox) It is great, basically if the sender is not in your address book or the allowed list you will not get a sound notification.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A home phone? What's that?

Haha fair point!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff