Certification advice for aspiring network engineer

Phillies8607Phillies8607 Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, looking for some answers regarding career advice. I have experience troubleshooting small networks (soho and residential) and I'm looking to get a job troubleshooting and building smb and enterprise networks. The security aspect of network engineering is intriguing and the various security concepts I encountered during my net plus studies were pretty interesting. So far I have my net plus exam and I'm about to sit for the ccent exam in the next month. In July I start a python class at my college and then I was thinking of obtaining the security + cert and the ccna before years end. I know engineering seems to be headed towards sdn so python with some Linux knowledge seems to be a good idea. On top of that I was thinking of trying to learn SQL next year or maybe start it this year. What thoughts do you guys have on this? Are there any other skills I should be looking to obtain to be a network engineer? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Python has been the career edge I needed. It is awesome. I tinker with Python all day. At home and at work. As a network engineer it is a real plus. The TelNetLib and Paramiko libraries are extremely useful. I could sing about it. Most networkers have very little scripting or programming experience. Having some useful scripting knowledge is a huge plus.
  • Phillies8607Phillies8607 Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks I will check out the TelnetLib and Paramiko libraries. Where can I find them at? Yeah python and scripting in general seem to be pretty hot right now. Honestly I think it's kind of hard to get Recruiters in HR to become interested in you as a network engineer that doesn't have any kind of scripting or database skills. I was pretty set on finishing my CCNA and then pursuing ccnp butt I think it still might be hard to land a job with only those skills. I'm hoping python will help set me apart from the rest of the competition.
  • Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I got a job with just a CCENT (and willing to work over nights). Once you start studying Python, and I used and love the Coursera class from U Mich, you will eventually get on to using code libraries within your programs. For example "import telnetlib". Keep your eyes open for them.