Options

Advice for obtaining a work from home/telecommute job

cs8400cs8400 Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
Here lately I've been thinking an IT telecommute position might be something I would enjoy. A couple questions for the work from home warriors:

1. How did you find your telecommute job? Any specific websites I should be looking at this type of work?
2. Is your schedule flexible throughout the day or are you at your desk 9-5?
3. How do you feel about your job security?

Comments

• Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Indeed has s filter hou can select for remote jobs. You can then use a keyword to search and just leave the location sectiin blank. You still have to filter through the results though. I've never had a remote job myself, besides the odd job on upwork that I do.
  • Options
    DragonrangerDragonranger Member Posts: 101
    This is something ive been looking into alot because i want to do some traveling within the next year and my current job is getting crazy.

That said i do alot of reading digital nomad sites and have stumbled across the following sites:
    https://weworkremotely.com/
    And
    https://remoteok.io/remote-support-jobs

If anyone else has tips for landing remote jobs i'd love to read more!
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I currently have a remote job. You'll find that you will get more work done working from home (provided you have a quiet house during the day), and you'll have more time to get things done around the house. As far as flexibility, as long as I put in my 8 hours/day, they don't care how I do it. As far as job security, I think it's pretty good, however my personal motto has always been to never let your guard down, and always keep your skills updated because you never know. I keep a 2 cert min. rule per year, whether it be a new certification, or updating an old one.

Send me a PM, and let me know what type of stuff your looking for job wise, and I can share my insight :)
  • Options
    bgold87bgold87 Member Posts: 112
    In regards to finding a position I look for younger companies that are a little more understanding and lax about WFH. I would mention it to them that it would be helpful if you could work from home from time to time upfront. Once you do that for awhile and you and your manager are more familiar then ask if you can do it permanently. Gotta build some trust.

I just started working from home about 3 months ago. It can be challenging because my wife works from home as well. You do seem to get more done working from home if you can stay motivated. You certainly do have more freedom during the day to an extent.

Downsides:
    When you are really busy you will feel like you are working all the time.
    Get out of the house. I have a fairly introverted personality, but it's taken some time getting used to not talking with folks in person all day.
    I try to stay up with what's going on in the office. Emailing people to see how they are etc. You'll start to feel like an island if you don't.
  • Options
    cs8400cs8400 Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It would be pretty awesome to be able to travel and have a steady job. I think it is the flexibility of a remote job that is appealing to me. I recently took a 8-5 job and I find myself missing the flexibility I had in a previous on-site position.