Options

Technical Diploma and CCNA?

CamWahnCamWahn Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I received a technical diploma in industrial electronics. I plan on returning to get my last two classes completed for an associates degree. I have 5 years of experience in PLCs, electronics, and automation. I took a networking class as part of my curriculum and it used a Cisco textbook. My field of work requires basic understanding of networking but I do enjoy it. Would a CCNA with my credentials land me a decent entry job in IT?

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think you'd be able to get an entry-level NOC job with a CCNA and everything else you described. I'd still look at help desk jobs too if you're not opposed to that, but the NOC would be better for your career path if you're wanting to get into networking.
  • Options
    CamWahnCamWahn Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice. I do like networking and I program PLCs, sometimes on a large scale, and it requires a small amount of networking. Hopefully this can open some doors without returning to college for another degree.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    There's a Cisco CCNA Industrial, which might be worth looking into. It covers the "internet of things" type stuff like smart homes, smart warehouses, manufacturing control systems, PROFINET, SCADA.

The CCNA Route and Switch and the CCNA Industrial both start with the CCENT, so you could just start there anyway.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM