Options

What type of entry level should i aim for?

jerry557jerry557 Member Posts: 26 ■■□□□□□□□□
I already have a bachelor degree in a non-IT field. I'm almost done with a bachelors in IT Management. I currently have Net+ and plan to get CCNA and maybe Security+ by the end of the year. I also have some business management experience, but not in IT.

Question is, once I get these certs and all, should I settle for a basic help desk type of job since I don't have much of any actual IT experience? Or would something in an entry level networking be possible? Networking is the area of IT I find the most interesting. But not sure how much experience would be needed to even get started there.

The help desk jobs I've been looking at don't really seem like they would help me gain experience in the areas I'm looking for. So not sure those jobs would help me much.

Comments

• Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Unfortunately experience is really important for getting tech jobs. Entry networking is usually like two years in networking with a CCNP...sounds weird but I never really found anything truly entry level as most people come through either help desk or system admin roles.

I would try to find an entry system admin role because then you have skipped help desk. Don't take too long trying to find that perfect role though because if you can get going with experience, you could always transition.
  • Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    You don't need to "settle" for an entry level position. What is your background? Do you have experience in management? Is that your end goal? There are plenty of positions available to someone with experience in management people. The soft skills aren't easily taught/learned. So if you have those and understand technology you can find a more senior position.