CCIE Next Logical Step?

SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
Hi all,

I'm after some advise. I'm about to finish my CCNP:R&S in the next few weeks and i'm looking what to complete after I complete TSHOOT.

My background: I came out of (UK - i'm 20 years old) college 2.5 years ago and since, i've landed a job as a NOC engineer and after being at the company for 6 months I have recently recieved a promotion to a Network Project Engineer where I do projects (who would have guessed? :) ). The role itself is great, I get access to F5's, ASA's, routers and switches for lots of users and customers giving me a wide range of technolgies to work on.

I know usually for CCIE's people recommend 3 years+ experience in a networking role however, I completed my CCNA with 0 days network experience and my soon to be CCNP with around 8 months network experience.

I was reading over the CCIE:SP topics and materials and they are really gripping, I find them extremely interesting. I am wondering, should I move onto CCIE:SP dispite the lack of experience or should I go for another NP level qualification? I am aware the CCIE level qualification will take me longer to complete then most due to the lack of experience.

I appreciate your time.
Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle

Comments

• Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am in the same boat. I have tossed around the idea of going for other NP level specializations too however have decided to go strait into IE studies after NP. I actually have already started reading some of the suggested content. I figured why not continue building on the platform I have already worked so hard to establish so far. I honestly would only suggest to people to get other NA / NP level specializations if their work demands it or they have no desire to go to the IE level. Now that's not to say those specializations are not worth it but I personally strive to be the best at anything I do, so I can't leave work to be done on the table if I've made it to the NP level. So IE is my immediate next goal.

I say go for the IE!
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
    Thanks for the advise. That was my thought too! I think service provider is an awesome path to take and looking into it, it looks extremely interesting in my eyes. I'm much the same, I want to do/obtain the best at my area of expertise.

Time to push through, pass TSHOOT and buy some reading materials I think.

sriddle.co.uk
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well welcome to the club. I am a NOC engineer myself, but I don't do projects. I purely do breakfix and have done since the end of 2012. I'm coming to the end of this role now I think - I want to move on but I want to study as well, and I do nights so I get the time to do it.

In your case, you certainly have age on your side - I'm 33 and I did the CCNP in 2010 - so I was 27 getting that. Your lack of experience will not hurt too much - it all depends if you decide you want a £80K job - you won't by getting a CCIE by itself...

But I'd say go for it whilst you have the time. It is difficult if you are married/have a partner or kids etc.... I was lucky - my wife is very understanding :)
  • silver145silver145 Member Posts: 265 ■■□□□□□□□□
    there isn't really a correct path, choose one that you wont get bored half way through and give up. If you were to do CCIE:SP for example why wouldn't you do the CCNP:SP as its a logical step and gives you brownie points/certs to begin with.
    I wouldn't let age bother you too much as these days it comes more into what it looks like you can do on your CV, then proving it at an interview.
    But without "CCNP, CCNA" etc on the CV even if you were working at a CCIE level, you get thrown in the trash pile.
    From what you wrote job wise it sounds as if you are on the right path with exposure and what not but don't be one of those people who thinks CCNA = 30k, then earning your CCNP will get you a 20k pay rise on top of that. The largest pay rises you will get will come from leaving your current company and taking a position elsewhere once you have those certs to market yourself with.

Moral of the story: Do what entertains you, if you are aiming for things high up the chain, tackle the low hanging fruit first (E.G CCIE:SP, get CCNP:SP first!) Get a wide exposure to other tech, ASA's, F5's, even without the certifications, having them on your CV and been able to use them is golden :).
    Then when you have a combination of certs+EXP i would recommend leaving your company! unless they are one of the companies i have never seen in existence that reward hard work and talent at market value payrise...... (aka never :P)
    Hahaha market value, good luck with that. I still haven't moved from my CCNP job so barely make £50K but for South Wales that's actually not bad at all :)
    exactly that's why you have to change jobs ^^ stop been lazy! haha
    Oh yeah, too true.
    Great, I do agree about getting the exposure and I will continue to work on these devices and learn about them.

CCIE:SP mainly interests me for the knowledge. I mean, yeah if I was to get a pay increase; awesome. But since networking it more of a passion - I guess it makes sense.

The reason why I don't want to start from the bottom for CCNA:SP and CCNP:SP is because it could be quite a lot of money as it totals 6 exams.

I am more than open to the idea that completing the CCIE will take me longer than most as I don't have the background.

My work are pretty good, they've rewarded me to far for my hard work and I've only been there 6 months.

sriddle.co.uk
    Like i say its personal choice, my choice would be to get all the certs along the way to enhance my CV, provide a few gold stars to myself esteem to keep me on track also. Who knows what opportunities you may have but if you don't have the certs they don't look at you twice! (even if you are CCIE level without the certs) as 9/10 times it is a desk jocky filtering through CV's looking for keywords
  • bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    Simrid wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm after some advise. I'm about to finish my CCNP:R&S in the next few weeks and i'm looking what to complete after I complete TSHOOT.

My background: I came out of (UK - i'm 20 years old) college 2.5 years ago and since, i've landed a job as a NOC engineer and after being at the company for 6 months I have recently recieved a promotion to a Network Project Engineer where I do projects (who would have guessed? :) ). The role itself is great, I get access to F5's, ASA's, routers and switches for lots of users and customers giving me a wide range of technolgies to work on.

I know usually for CCIE's people recommend 3 years+ experience in a networking role however, I completed my CCNA with 0 days network experience and my soon to be CCNP with around 8 months network experience.

I was reading over the CCIE:SP topics and materials and they are really gripping, I find them extremely interesting. I am wondering, should I move onto CCIE:SP dispite the lack of experience or should I go for another NP level qualification? I am aware the CCIE level qualification will take me longer to complete then most due to the lack of experience.

I appreciate your time.

Hi Simrid,

I thought I would add my thoughts here. I would say go for it, if you feel you are ready for it.

I would say though - I contemplated going for my IE, however I found that I was certainly lacking in knowledge in other areas such as ASA Firewalls and VPN's. I know this isn't strictly needed for the CCIE (actually - I think some IPSec may be tested) but I found that I wanted knowledge and experience in these other areas to make me feel like a "CCIE" and feel like I could be hit with anything at that level and have knowledge in that area.

I suppose it's just personal preference really.. but good luck whatever route you take!
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
    You don't touch a single ASA doing the R&S CCIE. But yes, your knowledge of VPN's needs to be spot on. :)
    I have decidied the go for the CCIE:SP. I will get some revision material after I complete my CCNP early June.

I will purchase the INE all access pass as they do some good MPLS series along with the normal Service Proivder courses, however here is the main set of videos:

http://www.ine.com/self-paced/ccie-service-provider.htmalong with VIRL and INE's recommended reading list (see below).

Here is the reading list I plan to get through:

CCIE Service Provider
    Is there anything i'm missing? :)

My only concern is that SP4.1 comes out shortly so there won't be much material for it. I guess TCP Vol.1 and 2 will still be relevant.

sriddle.co.uk
    Don't panic too much about the .1 increment. It is adding some "Cloud" type content across *all* IE tracks.
    gorebrush wrote: »
    Don't panic too much about the .1 increment. It is adding some "Cloud" type content across *all* IE tracks.

Ahh awesome - If that's the case i'll just use the current material that INE offers :D

Do you think they'll keep it at 4.1 for a while?

sriddle.co.uk
    Quite likely - SP is newer than the R&S v5