Options

Will a CCNA significantly improve job prospects over a CCENT?

bluejellorabbitbluejellorabbit Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
I ask because I haven't been able to attract a lot of attention with my CCENT. Granted, my experience is lacking. I was offered an interview for a junior Linux admin a while back, and I'm somewhat regretting not going at this point.

Comments

• Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Certifications are not a golden ticket to a guaranteed job and if you are approaching them as such you will be disappointed.

Will the CCNA help you more than than the CCENT? Yes
    Will the CCNA be the difference between you getting the job? Unless the choice is between you and another candidate without one, all else being equal sure but rarely does it come down to it.

The best way I've heard the interview process described as is a points system where you need X number of points to get the job and you get varying amounts of points (depend on the employer) for having a degree, having the certifications they list in the job description, previous work experience, how well you articulate yourself in the interview, ect ect...

All those things combined paint an overall picture of you as candidate. You could still lose out to someone who doesn't have any certifications because the potential employer values other areas more.

With that said, there are also employers and hiring manager that will place significant value on candidates that have certifications and the ability to self study new technologies.

You will likely have meet employers and people from both groups so wanted make you aware and prepared.

Good luck on your CCNA, Cheers!
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have found that the CCENT is not generally as well known as the CCNA. So in that regards, I would say that the CCNA does indeed provide better aspects in terms of getting your resume into peoples hands.

With that being said, what kind of experience do you have? What kind of jobs are you applying for? I am guessing since you got the interview offer for a junior position that you are applying for the correct level of position (Entry/Junior). If you are not getting any calls, it may also be a resume issue. I would recommend posting a sanitized version (personal information removed) version here. I did that a while back and got some really good feedback. Once I cleaned my resume up I ended up with more calls for interviews.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Yes. But that is still not guarantee.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Mooseboost wrote: »
    With that being said, what kind of experience do you have? What kind of jobs are you applying for?

I feel like almost every entry level / what cert / help me get a job post should lead with these answers. Most of the time no one can help unless we know what you're working with and what you're going for.
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is the question that needs to be asked....

"What do you want to do in your IT career?"
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    bluejellorabbitbluejellorabbit Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have limited Linux admin experience. No networking/NOC experience. I'm interesting in networking primarily, and would eventually like to design medium and large sized networks.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have limited Linux admin experience. No networking/NOC experience. I'm interesting in networking primarily, and would eventually like to design medium and large sized networks.
    Then you will need a CCNA to get your foot in the door and then continue to the next level of the Cisco certifications which are more advanced than CCNA. But for now, yes CCNA is more valuable than a CCENT, as it is more advanced.
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What I would reccomend is this.

Since you have limited Linux admin experience, no networking/NOC experience then you really would not fair well in a Networking role. Even though you have the cert you do not yet have the experience that goes with the cert. If you are in a IT job now.... stay where you are and take this time to LEARN all that you can. You have to learn to crawl before you can walk. Try to also see if the organization you are with has Jr Network tech positions and apply for them... use meetup and youtube to learn all you can about networking and labs labs labs....

Try not to worry if one cert is more valuable then the other... right now I would focus on "is the cert I have now valuable to ME" which it is... but in order to move up higher, you have to put the time in to get ahead....
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    ChevelChevel Member Posts: 211 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When I received my CCENT I didn't really update my resume right then and there, I waited until I received my CCNA. Afterwards I received quite a few job offers so far after about a week or so.
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you get no bites, you gotta up the bait. Why stop at the CCENT when there is more to conquer? It's not all about certifications though, it's a wide variety of things, resume, the way you carry yourself, the initial meeting, interview, experience, college degree, etc.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None