Can you help me finish the bits for my CCNA lab please, bit confused.

sferg410sferg410 Member Posts: 129
Hello, thanks for all your help so far, can you help me finish the set up please?
So far I am getting ;

3 x 3650TS Switches with power leads and rack mounts.
3 x 2811 Routers with power leads, ethernet cables, console cables and rack mounts. I will spec these with 512MB or 768MB memory and 256MB flash. IOS will be 15.1(4)

I am still confused about what modules I need for the CCNA R/S 100/200-101, maybe the 105s if I am not ready in time. If all went well I would consider doing the CCNA Security and/or Voice after. CCNP would be quite a way off I think.

So, still confused about WIC-2T compared to WIC-1T, generally which is better and how many of each is required? You have said 3x 2T's or 4x 1Ts and someone else has said just 3x1T's are enough :scratchicon_confused.gif?????? I would rather stick to all 2T's or all 1T's not mix and match.

Also T1-DSU v2 has been mention. What are they and do i need them? Same goes for VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1 that someone mentioned.

Basically apart from the WIC-1/2T modules, are there any others that I require from the start for this CCNA R/S.

Really grateful for your help.

Comments

• clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    pretty much as far as the ccna is concerned they all do the same thing. They do have different port configurations, different connectors that need the appropriate cables. What you need as a minimum is 4 serial ports in 3 routers.

the wic-2t has 2 serial ports. put one in each router. That gives you 6 serial ports. So you have unused ports or spares or you can do more than just the minimum with your labs. Looks the nicest, probably costs the most when you add in the necessary cables

the wic-1T has 1 serial port. You'll need at least 4 if you purchase these. the cables are thick and heavy. still expensive when including the cables

dsu-1t v2 has 1 serial port. The connector is a rj-48 (the same thing as a rj45). get a crimper and rj-45 plugs and make your own cables. probably the cheapest.

VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1 has one serial port. T1 is the american standard for serial. E1 is the european serial standard. So, you can configure it for either. The V indicates it does voice. You will need some of these when doing voice certs. And, being they do more than just serial, they cost more than serial wics do.
  • GDainesGDaines Member Posts: 273 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sferg410 wrote: »
    Hello, thanks for all your help so far, can you help me finish the set up please?
    So far I am getting ;

3 x 3650TS Switches with power leads and rack mounts.

I assume it's a typo and you mean 3560. I've seen WS-C3560-24TS-S, WS-C3560-24TT-L and WS-C3560-48TS-S, not sure what the differences are between the TT-L and TS-S but they all seem to be able to do IOS 15. Anyone?

Don't bother upgrading the 2811's unless you decide to do CCNP once you've passed CCNA as they don't need to run IOS 15 yet.

WIC cards covered by clarson but I'll repeat. WIC-2T takes one slot and has 2 ports while the WIC-1T also takes one slot and has only one port, so to get two ports in one router you'll need one WIC-2T or 2x WIC-1T, and to get one port in each of the other two routers you'll need one of either. As for the other two cards you'll need to make cables or find someone that makes them. It's mainly down to cost, but the WIC-1T option is your cheapest (prices were all covered in my earlier long post).
  • sferg410sferg410 Member Posts: 129
    I have bought 3 x WIC-2T @ £12 each.

The place I am getting the routers from seem to do the leads for them at a good price but the guy just came back to me and said what type of lead and left me a list, problem is, I do not know, can you help?

Cable Type
    Product Number
    Length
    Male/Female

V.35 DTE
    CAB-SS-V35MT(=)
    10 feet / 3 meters
    Male

V.35 DCE
    CAB-SS-V35FC(=)
    10 feet / 3 meters
    Female

RS-232 DTE
    CAB-SS-232MT(=)
    10 feet / 3 meters
    Male

RS-232 DCE
    CAB-SS-232FC(=)
    10 feet / 3 meters
    Female

RS-449 DTE
    CAB-SS-449MT(=)
    10 feet / 3 meters
    Male

RS-449 DCE
    CAB SS-449FC(=)
    10 feet / 3 meters
    Female

X.21 DTE
    CAB-SS-X21MT(=)
    10 feet / 3 meters
    Male

X.21 DCE
    CAB-SS-X21FC(=)
    10 feet / 3 meters
    Female

EIA-530 DTE
    CAB-SS-530MT(=)
    10 feet / 3 meters
    Male

EIA-530A DTE
    CAB-SS-530AMT(=)
    10 feet / 3 meters
    Male

The memory to upgrade routers to 512MB or even 768MB is about £6 for all 3 so that is not a problem.
    Can get 256MB cisco flash memory cards for £10 each and already have 1.
    Basically apart from the WIC-1/2T modules, are there any others that I require from the start for this CCNA R/S.

No, for a full initial setup you need:
    3x routers
    3x switches
    6x power cables and the means to plug them all in
    1-6x usb or serial console cables and at least 1 usb-serial adapter for your PC/laptop if you buy the cheaper serial cables
    4x WIC-1T cards and 2x suitable cables
    6x short CAT5 cables to interlink your switches and connect your routers to a switch
    1x long CAT5 cable to connect a PC/laptop to a switch to use Telnet/SSH

For full and proper testing it's useful to have a few old computers to use for testing your networks, I use 3x Windows 7 machines exclusively for my lab work. I'm using a 12-way PDU in my rack (7 devices plugged in, 1 connection to the mains) along with 2x 6-way mains extensions, one for my main kit and one for my lab kit.

You can get away with one USB console cable, set up your devices and never use it again (manage/access them via Telnet), but if you mount everything in an enclosed rack you'll appreciate having a cable plugged into each device all the time as the console connection is on the back of the 2811's and 3560's (only the 1841 has a front console connection in my lab).

If you want Internet access you'll also need a suitably long enough CAT5 cable to reach your home router.
  • clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    you don't want any of those. those all connect to other equipment. What you need is a back to back cable to connect to another wic-2t port. you need this: WIC 2T Smart Serial to Smart Serial Back to Back SS Cable 4 Cisco | eBay

I just picked the first one I saw. So, you could find cheaper if you search.
    I have bought 3 x WIC-2T @ £12 each.

The place I am getting the routers from seem to do the leads for them at a good price but the guy just came back to me and said what type of lead and left me a list, problem is, I do not know, can you help?

Just tell them you're connecting them together in a lab. A quick search on eBay again found these CAB-SS-2626X-03 DCE DTE back to back Smart Serial cables for £9.99 each.

Can you post or PM me details of what they're charging for ram and flash cards, and who you're buying off as a really quick search is coming back >£10 for either. If ram is that cheap I'd be tempted to upgrade all mine.

Haha, clarson beat me to it. BTW good price on the WIC-2T cards, cheapest I can find is £16.95 or this pair with cables for £40.00.
  • sferg410sferg410 Member Posts: 129
    OK, I now have ordered my 3 WIC-2Ts for £38 total. I just want to check one final thing, how many smart crossover cables do I need, I am assuming 3, is that correct?
    These leads are the last things i need to order.
    Thanks
    OK, I now have ordered my 3 WIC-2Ts for £38 total. I just want to check one final thing, how many smart crossover cables do I need, I am assuming 3, is that correct?
    These leads are the last things i need to order.
    Thanks

Wouldn't have started a new thread with the very same question as posted in an existing thread myself, you'll get yourself lost and people will end up repeating themselves.

Answer and continuation of this thread can be found here.