ICND1/CCENT Pass!

Leftya88Leftya88 Posts: 25Member ■□□□□□□□□□
Good Afternoon TE,

Here's my ICND1 writeup.

Passed with a 935/1000. I felt over-prepared, honestly. I was ready to go in there, take a switch or router from nothing to full configuration (i.e. interfaces configured, static routes added, OSPF, NAT, DHCP, port security on switches etc) and it was significantly less than I was expecting. I'd been studying for about 3 months, usually 1-2 hours a night on weekdays,and up to 4 hours on weekends.

As far as what was on the test, I would echo what others before me have said; be able to subnet quickly. Definitely be able to interpret configs and command outputs. Traffic flow. I dont want to break NDA, so I think that's enough, and I can dial that back if needed. One thing I will say, is that some areas received much less attention than I had expected, or none at all.

Resources Used were an interesting mish mash, because I had been piddling with this cert for around 2 years, and finally just got around to knuckling down and "doing" it.

Books:

-Wendell Odom book (Good for the dirty details, but dryer than the Sahara Desert)
-Todd Lammle Review Guide (Good for laughs and last minute review)

Labs:

-TestOut CCNA course (received voucher from community college, got it for $60ish, regular its more)
-Packet Tracer (Had labs from Cisco Networking Academy comm college course)
-Boson Labsim

Tests:

-Boson Practice Exams -Note: These, in my opinion, were harder than the real thing, and were great as additional study motivation and learning tools.
-Practice Exams that came with the Odom Book

Thanks again TE,

Look for an ICND2 pass in a few months! :D

-Lefty

Comments

• johnnyqt25johnnyqt25 Posts: 51Banned ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats. I'll be taking the ICND1 soon too, so thanks for the tips.
  • gncsmithgncsmith Posts: 458Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Thanks for the write-up.
  • networker050184networker050184 Posts: 11,962Mod Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • shaun5263shaun5263 Posts: 117Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I'm taking mine in a week and have also been using the Boson practice tests. I've been able to pass all three of the preset exams so hopefully I'm ready!
  • mgmguy1mgmguy1 Posts: 461Member
    Congratulations on the pass. Good luck on ICND2
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • greg9891greg9891 Posts: 1,163Member ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats!
    Certs Gained 2018: CCENT ,210-255 ( Cyber Security Operations)
    Upcoming: ICND2, CTT, 210-250 (Cyber Security Fundamentals)

Isaiah 28:10 - For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line; here a little, and there a little.
  • Leftya88Leftya88 Posts: 25Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    Shaun, I was hitting around 800 on all three and randomly created ones, as long as your in that range I think you will be just fine.
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Posts: 1,472Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
  • Experienced_ISN'T_oldExperienced_ISN'T_old Posts: 26Banned ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats. I just picked up the new 3.0 (C)2016 ICND1 book today and couldn't be more excited at the new errata updated print + added changes, so your passing couldn't be timelier. The tips I found most indispensable were the urgency of mastering subnetting quickly, interpreting outputs and overall everything, even the mention that Odom was dry as the Sahara because I have been echoing that for ions but helpful in keeping your balance as one goes thru that particular book.
  • shaun5263shaun5263 Posts: 117Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good to know LeftYa, thank you for the feedback! I think I'll do ok. I've taken the 3 preset exams and 2 randomly generated. Scoring between 830-860 on preset, then 934 and 962 on the randoms.