Options

ICND1/CCENT Pass!

Leftya88Leftya88 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
Good Afternoon TE,

Here's my ICND1 writeup.

Passed with a 935/1000. I felt over-prepared, honestly. I was ready to go in there, take a switch or router from nothing to full configuration (i.e. interfaces configured, static routes added, OSPF, NAT, DHCP, port security on switches etc) and it was significantly less than I was expecting. I'd been studying for about 3 months, usually 1-2 hours a night on weekdays,and up to 4 hours on weekends.

As far as what was on the test, I would echo what others before me have said; be able to subnet quickly. Definitely be able to interpret configs and command outputs. Traffic flow. I dont want to break NDA, so I think that's enough, and I can dial that back if needed. One thing I will say, is that some areas received much less attention than I had expected, or none at all.

Resources Used were an interesting mish mash, because I had been piddling with this cert for around 2 years, and finally just got around to knuckling down and "doing" it.

Books:

-Wendell Odom book (Good for the dirty details, but dryer than the Sahara Desert)
-Todd Lammle Review Guide (Good for laughs and last minute review)

Labs:

-TestOut CCNA course (received voucher from community college, got it for $60ish, regular its more)
-Packet Tracer (Had labs from Cisco Networking Academy comm college course)
-Boson Labsim

Tests:

-Boson Practice Exams -Note: These, in my opinion, were harder than the real thing, and were great as additional study motivation and learning tools.
-Practice Exams that came with the Odom Book

Thanks again TE,

Look for an ICND2 pass in a few months! :D

-Lefty

Comments

• Options
    johnnyqt25johnnyqt25 Banned Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats. I'll be taking the ICND1 soon too, so thanks for the tips.
  • Options
    gncsmithgncsmith Member Posts: 459 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Thanks for the write-up.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    shaun5263shaun5263 Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I'm taking mine in a week and have also been using the Boson practice tests. I've been able to pass all three of the preset exams so hopefully I'm ready!
  • Options
    mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass. Good luck on ICND2
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats!
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    Leftya88Leftya88 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Shaun, I was hitting around 800 on all three and randomly created ones, as long as your in that range I think you will be just fine.
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Experienced_ISN'T_oldExperienced_ISN'T_old Banned Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats. I just picked up the new 3.0 (C)2016 ICND1 book today and couldn't be more excited at the new errata updated print + added changes, so your passing couldn't be timelier. The tips I found most indispensable were the urgency of mastering subnetting quickly, interpreting outputs and overall everything, even the mention that Odom was dry as the Sahara because I have been echoing that for ions but helpful in keeping your balance as one goes thru that particular book.
  • Options
    shaun5263shaun5263 Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good to know LeftYa, thank you for the feedback! I think I'll do ok. I've taken the 3 preset exams and 2 randomly generated. Scoring between 830-860 on preset, then 934 and 962 on the randoms.