Options

Parallels and "complex" network scenarios- your experience?

varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
I may be getting a MacBook soon, am depending on virtualization for my RH exams and am wondering if any of you have any experience with Parallels':
- virtualized networking. Parallel's website claims their solution is capable of "complex network scenarios". Hmmm, define "complex". For some, complex means a router and two computers. What is Parallel's level of complex?
- nested virtualization: do they really do VM inside VM, and how significant is performance decrease?

Comments

• Options
    gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    While I can't comment on Parallels, the Fusion works fine and does the nested virtualization just fine, so you could easily run the KVM host as a vm with guest vms inside, provided that you have an SSD and enough memory in your MacBook.
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    I am hitting a major snag with Parallels right now- their faulty Tools (guest VM integration tool, their equivalent of Virtual Box's Guest Additions) ruins the graphics on the VM, so I can log into my VM only via SSH. Cool features depend on Tools, like having Linux app show up along native Mac apps, but if you don't have Tools working, none of that is available. They promise virtualization of complex network scenarios, however there's limited number of networking modes available. Good it's a 14-day trial. Their support forum doesn't seem to respond to any non- Windows issues.
    I have 8 GB RAM and 512 GB disk, I am assuming it's SSD on PCIe, how would this bode with Fusion? Have you had experience with Fusion Pro? VMWare seems to be rather vague on features of Pro.