So it seems the non-ecc memory does not work in the 2811 router

sferg410sferg410 Member Posts: 129
So finally went to log into my routers today and the one I had put the 2 x 256mb boards that came with the routers in worked fine.

The two that i put the 512mb boards in of non-ecc ddr1 memory that i got from ebay (link below) did not work and instead returned the error message... "ERROR: Unsupported DIMM memories in DIMM SLOT:00000000"

Corsair 4 x 512MB = 2GB PC2700 (333), 184PIN, DDR1 Desktop RAM Memory NEW SEALED | eBay

So I guess I need to search for and buy Cisco 2811 memory only...

Comments

• Sy KosysSy Kosys Member Posts: 105 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Router# sh platform

Dimm 0 SPD data :
    Size of dimm = 256 Megabytes
    Memory Type = 0x7
    <snip>
    Vendor Id = 7FA8000000000000
    Module Part Number = CIS00-21077-414IC

Dimm 1 SPD data :
    Size of dimm = 512 Megabytes
    Memory Type = 0x7
    <snip>
    Vendor Id = CE00000000000000
    Module Part Number = M3 81L6423ETM-CA2

This is running in my lab. Both these sticks are ECC, the Corsair ebay ram is not. "Server" ram vs "Desktop" ram and whatnot. The Cisco p/n for these is MEM2811-512D, and ebay seems to have them for about 10 bucks each.

Maybe there's a mismatch? Check 'sh platform' on your setup and confirm you actually do have 1x256Mb ECC already installed. You may have already and posted that in another thread, apologies if that is the case.

HTH
    "The size of your dreams must always exceed your current capacity to achieve them. If your dreams do not scare you, they are not big enough.”
    ― Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
  • GDainesGDaines Member Posts: 273 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sferg410 wrote: »
    So I guess I need to search for and buy Cisco 2811 memory only...

I've ordered a job lot of 256mb DDR266 ECC PC2100U sticks from the States. Post stated 2 but picture showed 8 sticks so I emailed and asked and he said yes 8 sticks... we'll see what turns up. It's the same spec as what's already in so it should be right.

I have only 4x 2811's so I'll have 4x spare sticks for sale.
  • pinkiaiiipinkiaiii Member Posts: 216
    I remember in class being told by lecturer that they did experiment and basically took out ram from router placed it into pc/laptop and it worked fine,when they tried to use laptops ram it didnt,basicically it was him saying cisco has prevention against using non cisco ram or smth in that term,since given price they ask for stick and price for same stick that works on pcs are quite a difference.
  • sferg410sferg410 Member Posts: 129
    I bought 3 cisco CF cards, formatted them in all 4 formats available in Windows 10 and then copied the IOS file to it, however when I try any of the cards in the 2811 router I get all this information about not being able to boot flash, as you can see it the screen grab.

Being new to all this, I have no idea what to do. Internet stuff says about using TFTP but I have no idea how. Seeing as the IOS won't boot up, I do not even know how to connect my home broadband to the router yet.

Routers connect to PC via console cable and using Putty.

IOS file is c2800nm-adventerprisek9-mz.151-4.M10

Any help....?
  • Sy KosysSy Kosys Member Posts: 105 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just to clarify, you've got two issues here...system DRAM and Compact Flash storage.

For the DRAM, that has been addressed above.
    For the CF, this should be formatted FAT16. I don't have a Win10 box so I cannot confirm the formatting options, but Win7 shows me 3 options: NTFS, FAT32, and exFAT.
    "The size of your dreams must always exceed your current capacity to achieve them. If your dreams do not scare you, they are not big enough.”
    ― Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
  • sferg410sferg410 Member Posts: 129
    CF issues have been dealt with and I have ordered some actually Cisco RAM, shame the cheap stuff didn't work, people seem to think it should have.