How long should an IOS transfer take via TFTP????

sferg410sferg410 Member Posts: 129
I am using SolarWinds and Putty to do my first IOS upload from my PC to my 2811 routers CF card.
IOS version is c2800nm-adventerprisek9.mz.151-4.M10.bin

Had loads of !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! to start.
Then it changed to a slow progression of ......!........!.........!.........!...........! which it is still doing after 90 minutes.. Is this what it should be doing or has something gone wrong?

Would really like to know as i have no idea if I am sat here waiting for nothing!!!
Thanks

Comments

• doctorlexusdoctorlexus Member Posts: 217
    If you're transferring with 512byte block size and you have a high latency link, it can easily take well over an hour.
  • jboogie81jboogie81 Member Posts: 29 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I uploaded that same exact IOS last week and it took about 40min, but i would'nt panic yet if it's still giving the occasional "!".
  • sferg410sferg410 Member Posts: 129
    I have been getting told that "....!......!......!......!....." coming up very slowly is it not working.
    If it is transferring with high latency can anything be done to speed it up?

Basically I do not have a working IOS. Copying the file straight onto the CF does not work so now trying TFTP. Been at it for a day already!!
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Easiest way to get an image on a 2800 is USB, but you need a 2GB or less usb on the 2800.

With TFTP, double check your IP setting on your PC and your router. Also are you using a crossover cable?
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
    Priston wrote: »
    Easiest way to get an image on a 2800 is USB, but you need a 2GB or less usb on the 2800.

With TFTP, double check your IP setting on your PC and your router. Also are you using a crossover cable?

USB did not work either, couldn't read it just like it cannot read flash.
    no i am not using a crossover cable.
    This is sorted now. Thank you all.
  • Phillies8607Phillies8607 Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What is a CF card? And how is the IOS transferred as compared to a normal TFTP connection through a IP connection?
  • GDainesGDaines Member Posts: 273 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sferg410 wrote: »

Was it just slow? Did it finish in the end, or did you have to do something different?

I've realised when I booted one of my two newest 2811's to answer one of your questions that they didn't come with flash cards so I'll be getting a couple of 128mb cards and putting in some extra memory when mine arrives before putting IOS 15 advanced enterprise on them.
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722

So what was the solution? In case someone Google's this in the future. Sort of relevant xkcd.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
    USB's need to be in a FAT32 format I believe.
    Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
    uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle
    The solution was getting an IOS onto the router memory via TFTP, used the small ipbase9 software. Was having trouble getting 12 or 15 to complete, kept timing out. Then formatted the cards in the router itself and copied 15.4 onto the flash card via the PC to router to flash. Also was able to just copy the IOS file onto the flash card with the card plugged into PC and using Win 10, which i was able to do originally but the router would not read the card when the card was formatted via Windows, no matter what format system was used. When looking at a card on the PC after formatting it in the router it appears at FAT, which is FAT16 or exFAT, I do not think FAT32 is viable system.
  • HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The solution was getting an IOS onto the router memory via TFTP, used the small ipbase9 software. Was having trouble getting 12 or 15 to complete, kept timing out. Then formatted the cards in the router itself and copied 15.4 onto the flash card via the PC to router to flash. Also was able to just copy the IOS file onto the flash card with the card plugged into PC and using Win 10, which i was able to do originally but the router would not read the card when the card was formatted via Windows, no matter what format system was used. When looking at a card on the PC after formatting it in the router it appears at FAT, which is FAT16 or exFAT, I do not think FAT32 is viable system.

Use FTP and 3CDaemon and it should be no more then 5 minutes. I upgrade equipment across the country and max transfer is 30 minutes. use this command. The IP of my PC running 3CD is the 192.168.1.5 where as the Interface on the router is 192.168.1.1

copy ftp://anonymous@192.168.1.5/c860vae-advsecurityk9-mz.154-3.M4.bin flash:
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • james43026james43026 Member Posts: 303 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Cisco uses a proprietary file system, knows as IFS, which is further broken down into 3 classes. Which is why your computer couldn't format the drive properly. Only a Cisco device would be able to format a storage device, for a Cisco product.
  • clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    how long it takes to transfer a file depends on the file size and the speed/throughput of your network connection. I use a 16mb file across a 100mhz full duplex connection and did 16mb in about 5 minutes. or roughly 3mb per minute.

17620224 bytes copied in 307.191 secs (57359 bytes/sec)