Options

Two exams at once

axum202axum202 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey ,

I am a college student (graduating in December) who is away for the summer with nothing to do but work at my job (sometimes 40hrs a week, sometimes less). I recently started studying for my CCNA exam. I've been using CBT Nuggets which has really been helping me and I have some lab equipment (3 routers, 2 switches). My original plan was to take the ICDN1 and ICDN2. But since I have found out that CISCO is changing up the exam , I have came up with another plan...I want to get into network security , so I decided that I will take the ICDN1 (CCENT) and the Security+. Some people have told me that having the security+ is crucial if you want to get a clearance. Is this true?... Is it a good idea for me to study for both test at the same time? Any tips for studying multiple exams? ..or am I over-doing it ..? I really want to leave college with some credentials..p.s i go back to school aug 25th. So I have up until the 21st to take the ICDN1 and possibly a week or 2 after to take security+ since my last semester will be starting up.

Comments

• Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Security+ has nothing to do with getting a clearance other than the fact that a lot of DoD contracting jobs require the Security+ certification to apply or at the very least have it within 90 days of hiring. If you are hired for a job that requires a clearance at that point you will have to do paperwork for a clearance and background investigation will be done.

I would probably focus on the CCENT and just take it whenever you are ready to take it(or get tired of studying for.) You might want to book an exam date for sometime in August so you have some skin in the game.

Then you could study for Security+ a little each day and maybe take it during Thanksgiving weekend. I realize this would be at the same time as you taking classes for your last semester, but depending on your class load it's doable.

This gives you plenty of time to study for the CCENT and plenty of time for the Security+. Obviously, if your studies go well and you think you can pass the CCENT some time in the first week or two of July you would have enough time to knock out the Security+ before you went back to school.
  • Options
    BetrayalBetrayal Member Posts: 108
    As long as you put in the required time investment, you can definitely pass two exams at once.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would do both Cisco exams to achieve your CCNA and then do Security+ The two together on your resume will be a great addition.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'd do your CCNA and Security+ as well. If you fail CCNA, and pass Sec+, you could do CASP or Net+. I've taken both exams, and honestly I'd do the Sec+ first, and then the CCNA or CCENT.

As far as the DoD positions are concerned, you actually have a better chance of getting into a gov't position as a soon to be recent grad, then a contracting position. I've had 2 family members do exactly that, and they both started at the IRS 30+ years ago.

Sec+ has nothing to do with getting your clearance. Getting your clearance has more to do with you. Making sure that you have good credit, no open credit cards, you aren't in debt other than for your college tuition, you haven't been arrested, aren't doing drugs, or been under psych care, then you should be fine. You should read more about how the clearance process works and the SF-86 doc.

One other thing to keep in mind is that you may have to resort to getting a position outside of the gov't world. Getting these certs will certainly help you get into the front door, but it's what you do with it afterwards that really matters. You'll be able to get more experience and exposure working in the public sector.
  • Options
    doctorlexusdoctorlexus Member Posts: 217
    As someone with a CCENT and Sec+, I'd recommend getting your CCNA first. There are a lot of job listings out there asking for CCNA. I don't think I've seen one yet asking for CCENT & Sec+.