Options

Windows Networking

doctorlexusdoctorlexus Member Posts: 217
I've used workgroups for a long time for moving files between Windows machines, but there are some strange happenings I've just never understood. Like why sometimes one machine can see the other, but not vice versa, or why one machine will ask for a username/password when the usernames and passwords are the same on both machines, yet no matter what username and password I type in, it still won't connect.

And then there's this little issue. I've got a switch connected to my cable modem/router/access point. My primary desktop connects through the switch, and I usually have my laptop connected wireless via the cable modem. Given this setup, both the desktop and laptop can see each other, and files can be transferred between them via Windows file sharing. But sometimes I want to transfer a large amount of data, so I'll plug the laptop into the switch and turn its wireless adapter off. The laptop can still connect to the internet, but for some reason the laptop no longer shows up under Networks on the desktop. Rebooting both machines doesn't fix it. Disabling and reenabling file sharing on the laptop doesn't fix it. And I have no idea why this problem occurs.

Comments

• Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    How do your machines get IP? Are they statically assigned or via DHCP and where does your DHCP server live? On the router? Is it maybe disabled?
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Too many things could be in play here. I recommend reading more on how SMB works, name resolution in Windows, and how all the options in secpol.msc affect SMB connectivity. It would be a long read...

First off, abandon "Networks", it is slow, depends on if certain traffic is allowed through firewall, etc. In run... input field (Win+R) type \\computername\c$ to access drive C: remotely via SMB. If it doesn't work try \\ip-address\c$. If it works you may have a name resolution problem. Be aware that NBNS works via broadcasts in a home network and therefore can't cross subnet boundaries, i.e. if two PCs are on different subnets they won't see each other in "Networks", however, you'll be able to access them using \\ip-address\c$ method if routing between subnets is set up properly. You can modify your lmhosts/hosts files to set up static mappings between hostnames and ip addresses, but pay attention how your windows is configured because it should be configured to honor these files, at least lmhosts...

Usernames/passwords, etc. depend on settings you can find in secpol.msc, how NTLM gets negotiated, are certain users allowed to logon via network, etc, do they have blank passwords or not, etc.

Also, firewalls. Make sure that you allow "Microsoft file and printer sharing" traffic. Your main port is TCP 445 for SMB or set of TCP and UDP ports between 135 and 139 for NetBIOS traffic and various name resolution. Here's a command line to open them all:

netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="File and Printer Sharing" new enable=yes