Options

Troubleshooting Telephone Networks

joemc3joemc3 Member Posts: 141 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I was just handed a project to create a training guide and troubleshooting guide for a small telecommunications company.
I am looking for a book that is all about PRI, Hunt groups, VOIP, etc. For instance, they have 4 lines and the customer is reaching a saturation point in data on a 10 meg circuit. I thought they needed more data. The issue might be they need extra lines. What type of book would help me knock this out of the park?

Thank You!

Comments

• Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Asterisk the future of telephony and any other book written by Van Meghelen on the subject of Asterisk.
    Years ago I got to play with Asterisk and that is how I got into Linux, was pretty powerful stuff before it dived into versioning hell and updates that bring nothing new but break all existing setups.
  • Options
    mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
    https://www.thesipschool.com/
    I am not aware single book but "The Sip School" teaches all that and more. I have seen this website listed a few times here on the forums and asked about in job interviews. I have personally not done it is well recognized in the industry. you may want to research the site and go from there.
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    the SIP school, and the asterisk book would be good places to go. However from the way you framed the questions, I don't think you should be writing any type of training guide if you don't understand whats going on.

from the data you gave

PRI
    4 lines
    10 meg circuit

This is all over the place.

a PRI is about 1.5mbps of data and is 23 lines plus 1 signalling channel
    if they had 4 lines at around 80K per line that adds up to 320K of data, so that is plenty of space left for data
    Also if they had 4 lines and used 5 at one time depending on the transport type the carrier would either allow it or block the 5th call from going out. Even if they allowed the 5th call this should not affect normal operations.

I know this is for a telecom company, and they may have multiple systems in place, but if your not well versed in VoIP yourself this could be a long road.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related