Routing table question

yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have the following structure:

In both ISP routers I added routing rules so that if from site A someone sends traffic to 192.168.50.0/24, the traffic goes through the VPN tunnel at 192.168.40.10. I did the same on site B.

Both OpenWRT knows the route to the other LAN because the OpenVPN Server pushes it, but how can the PCs know these routes? Do I need to manually add them to every PC? Is it somehow possible that the router pushes those routes to every PC as well?

Comments

• doctorlexusdoctorlexus Member Posts: 217
    PC's don't need to know routes. They just need the default gateway.
  • OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    They don't need to know routes, but it can be done depending on your setup.

Past that, doctorlexus is accurate. Routers are made to route. The process itself, depending on the size of the routing table, can consume large amounts of memory, hence why having just a default gateway doesn't overload your PC.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • doctorlexusdoctorlexus Member Posts: 217
    @=OfWolfAndMan;
    Yeah, it's hard to think of a setup where you'd want a PC to have its own routing table, unless the PC's purpose was to act as a router. But for a bunch of end user PC's, I can't think of a need.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You'd usually have routes on a server when you have more than one nic in different networks. Most of the time I've seen this is an IP storage network or back ups to keep this traffic off production nic.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.