Options

WGU Masters

ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
Ok I have a few questions for those that have gone to WGU. Currently I have a B.A. Degree in Biblical studies from A seminary in Georgia. I completed the degree online and the classes I took were related to religion, bible, and theology. I also attended community college after that and took some remedial classes (Math and English). I passed the english and failed the math. I was wondering would I be accepted into WGU for a Masters?? Or would I have to start from square 1 and get an associates and work my way up.? I am wondering because I don't mind starting over... but I would prefer to just get a Masters in a IT discipline.
Some colleges I did look at said I would have to start over in the associates program because the B.A. I have would not qualify me to start at the Masters Degree level....
In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
“The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios

Comments

• Options
    TranceSoulBrotherTranceSoulBrother Member Posts: 215
    Which discipline specifically? and Why? ( that would determine your "passion" for the journey )
    Acceptance to the WGU Master's would have to show competency for the domain i.e: for the MSISA, you have to have a CISSP, CCNA...or submit a resume with documented work in the field. That's what I did.
    I don't know if they have pre-reqs for you to beef up your IT creds. You could go the route of their BS IT and get more certs along the way without having to start from scratch if you have the time and money to dedicate to this.

But if you have a degree already, why look at a Master's now? I would dedicate the effort for more certs and seek out IT experience for now.
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It's on their website, near the bottom of the page.

Have to have a bachelors in IT, certain certs, or suitable resume.
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Which discipline specifically? and Why? ( that would determine your "passion" for the journey )
    Acceptance to the WGU Master's would have to show competency for the domain i.e: for the MSISA, you have to have a CISSP, CCNA...or submit a resume with documented work in the field. That's what I did.
    I don't know if they have pre-reqs for you to beef up your IT creds. You could go the route of their BS IT and get more certs along the way without having to start from scratch if you have the time and money to dedicate to this.

But if you have a degree already, why look at a Master's now? I would dedicate the effort for more certs and seek out IT experience for now.

The Discipline I want to go into is Security. So I would get the M.S. Cybersecurity and Information Assurance Degree. If I had to get the B.A. Degree which it looks like I do... then I would get the B.S. Information Technology - Security.

The Main reason why I want to go back to school to get my degree is there are jobs that require a degree in IT and those that do not. I just don't want to be the guy with certs and no IT degree. I have seen many people that I know personally get stuck because they have certs.... but then they don't have a degree so they just end up working at Wal-Mart or K-Mart. It is more of a personal goal of mine to go back to school and actually finish. I have been to community college and other schools but something always happens and I just give up and quit. Going to school and actually finishing it... that is what I want to do. I feel like I can go back to school, study, work hard at it... and actually put forth the effort and finish school. I know that schooling is not mandatory in the IT field it is just icing on the cake.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Sounds like a solid plan.
  • Options
    GSXR750K2GSXR750K2 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When I started the MS IT Management program I was given a work experience document to fill out and it wanted me to go back at least five years. Can't speak for the MSCIA (new MSISA), but I would imagine something similar would be required.

I'm sure some others will chime in with their experience, but it never hurts to call and talk to an EC.
  • Options
    TranceSoulBrotherTranceSoulBrother Member Posts: 215
    Look at the various ways to gain acceptance there. One of the better and faster options instead of going through an entire Bachelor's is to obtain a recognized certification for them. I don't think you have enough job experience to qualify for the CISSP but look into the CCNA or MCSA and submit a work experience document. CCNA will be much faster than the one or two years for an IT bachelor's. Meanwhile, secure a job where you gain experience and start climbing the professional/academic ladder. That's what I would do!