Options

What certification should I get?

NewITGuy1NewITGuy1 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, I have been in helpdesk for 2 years now, and my employer is going to pay for a training class of my choosing for me. I have the A+ already. However, I am not sure if I want to take a class just for Network+ or Security+, as I feel like I can learn just as well by studying myself. I still am not sure what direction I want to go for IT. I always enjoyed databases and security though. Please let me know if you guys have any suggestions.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What will help you the most in your job? What knowledge and skills are you missing that can help you move up the ladder?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Definitely get some type of network cert, Net + , CCNA...etc. No matter where you go within IT you will need to know Networking.
  • Options
    doctorlexusdoctorlexus Member Posts: 217
    PWK class w/ OSCP certification!
  • Options
    SchismeSchisme Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would suggest Net+. It's a lot more value considering the number of directions you can take it. Security managers will want that network knowledge just as much, if not more than, a Sec+ cert. If you're unsure at all, Net+ is the easy choice in my opinion. Security+ will not be helpful in most other fields. Good luck!
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would say to go for your Net+ or Sec+. Like people have said before, you have to learn how something works before you can secure it. So if you want to go the security route the track I have seen is

1. Sec+
    2. CEH/GSEC
    3. CCNA/CCNA Sec
    4. RHCSA or Linux+
    5. CISSP/CASP/CAP etc...

It really depends on the route you want to take. For example I want to become a penntester so my track is

- RHCSA
    - eJpt
    - CCNA
    - OSCP
    - CISSP

There are many things you can do within security. Ethical hacker, Pennetration tester, Offensive security, Network Security etc....
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    NewITGuy1 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I have been in helpdesk for 2 years now, and my employer is going to pay for a training class of my choosing for me. I have the A+ already. However, I am not sure if I want to take a class just for Network+ or Security+, as I feel like I can learn just as well by studying myself. I still am not sure what direction I want to go for IT. I always enjoyed databases and security though. Please let me know if you guys have any suggestions.
    If you're interested in learning databases you should look up the different flavors and what they do. There has always been a huge demand for DBAs so whichever type you should to specialize in, you'll be on a path to a lot of opportunities. As far as security, you can look at the Security + material for free online and become familiar with general security theories. If you want hands on security, you can look at the DISA STIGs. They detail a very well structured approach to securing systems and even have STIGs for databases. Not sure how familiar you are with SQL but Linux Academy has a good course on it.