Certification Alignment

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
I realize like most of you that certifications can help you get better paying jobs and potentially open doors that otherwise couldn't be opened. My conundrum is that where I stand the skills I am learning don't really have a certification path or if there is one it's not the norm and seems to lack teeth.

Is this just the facts that for some of us certifications don't really help out much. As a Developer I don't see getting the MS cert track helping all that much. None of our senior devs have any kind and believe me it doesn't prevent them for bonusing and moving up.

Many moons ago on the desk it helped me get up to level 2, but since rolling off the desk getting more into management then eventually development it seems the path ends.

I still love to learn and continue to revisit skills such as statistics, (love stats) and C#, SQL etc. Even some development in Access and sometimes Excel if I need a down and dirty solution. Any body else run into this?

Thanks

Comments

• Phillies8607Phillies8607 Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah it seems most developers don't have a ton of certifications. You could look into Oracle. They have a ton of certs. Not sure how much weight they hold but I would think the Java and SQL certs are worth looking into. Also I am not a developer so hopefully someone else can chime in.
  • reload@reload@ Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't think there are a lot, if any, certs for developers that really hold much value. My sister is a Sr. Developer and the only cert she has is an MCP from a long long time ago and a Security+ for DoD 8570 compliance.