Options

Is possible to pass CCNP ROUTE exam within 3 months?

GNKx2210GNKx2210 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Is possible to pass CCNP ROUTE 300-101 exam within 3 months by self-studying?

My details:
- Now, I'm not work in networking field. I'm in telecom field. (RF mobile => FTTx => next SP networking)
- I recently passed ICND1 and ICND2. (CCNA certified)
- Studying time is around 4-5 hours per day. Or maybe more in weekend day.
- Study by using CBT nuggets videos + Chris Bryant book + fulfill some detail gaps with Official Cert Guide.

Is possible? or you have any advice, please let me know.

Comments

• Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Yes, it's possible. If you took the boot camp route, you'd do 3 weeks of about 40 hours, and then probably a similar amount of self study (cramming). So 240ish hours, and you have more than 20 hours a week, so can do in under 12 weeks.

The standard recommended path is SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT. You can swap ROUTE and SWITCH if you like, but TSHOOT is best done last since it relies on understanding SWITCH and ROUTE concepts. Some say that TSHOOT is 'easy' and requires little study if you can pass SWITCH and ROUTE.

A variety of resources is helpful. You are less likely to have gaps, and it can be easier to stay engaged with the materials.

The lack of experience is probably going to be the biggest issue for you. Generally, CCNP people have at least one or two years' network experience at the CCNA or higher level before attempting the exams. So get some gear and lab. Probably you should spend as much time labbing as reading/watching videos.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    OctalDump wrote: »
    Yes, it's possible. If you took the boot camp route, you'd do 3 weeks of about 40 hours, and then probably a similar amount of self study (cramming). So 240ish hours, and you have more than 20 hours a week, so can do in under 12 weeks.

The standard recommended path is SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT. You can swap ROUTE and SWITCH if you like, but TSHOOT is best done last since it relies on understanding SWITCH and ROUTE concepts. Some say that TSHOOT is 'easy' and requires little study if you can pass SWITCH and ROUTE.

A variety of resources is helpful. You are less likely to have gaps, and it can be easier to stay engaged with the materials.

The lack of experience is probably going to be the biggest issue for you. Generally, CCNP people have at least one or two years' network experience at the CCNA or higher level before attempting the exams. So get some gear and lab. Probably you should spend as much time labbing as reading/watching videos.

Thanks for your suggestion.
    I think I need heavy study for achieve my target because I'm using self-studying and not join any bootcamp or training.
  • Options
    Yeah, it will be a lot of work to get there, but you will learn a lot of stuff. I think the other thing to be mindful of is that the three exams aren't equal. Probably you will want something like a 35/40/25 split between SWITCH/ROUTE/TSHOOT.
  • Options
    OctalDump wrote: »
    Yeah, it will be a lot of work to get there, but you will learn a lot of stuff. I think the other thing to be mindful of is that the three exams aren't equal. Probably you will want something like a 35/40/25 split between SWITCH/ROUTE/TSHOOT.

Thanks for motivate me, now I'm focused on ROUTE only, the hardest part. Because I planned to change my job to SP network field. They have many IP routing and less switching I thought. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    reload@reload@ Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Took me about 3 months of studying to pass mine. Get the CCNP ROUTE Lab Manual and do labs on GNS3. I also used labs from GNS3 Vault.

There's value to doing SWITCH even if you are going to work for a service provider. Switches are often used as the last mile for service delivery.
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Also I have found the need to know switching far greater than needing to know routing protocols such as OSPF, BGP, EIGRP, etc for my job, so I am taking my ROUTE first because that is the material I am by far less familiar with.

I actually thought most people did ROUTE - SWITCH - TSHOOT because the SWITCH contains some subjects covered in ROUTE on some layer 3 topics, though that is only what I have heard.

Good luck!
  • Options
    shortstop20shortstop20 Member Posts: 161 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Most people do indeed do Route first, after all, Route is 300-101, Switch is 300-115. I would do what you're more familiar with first(Switch) and do Route second so it's fresh when you do TSHOOT.

I took Switch first because I was more familiar with those topics.
    CCNA Security - 6/11/2018
    CCNP TShoot - 3/7/2018
    CCNP Route - 1/31/2018
    CCNP Switch - 12/10/2015
    CCNA R/S - 1/14/2015
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It took me 4 months to pass, working at a decent pace but no rush. It's going to take about 4 months to pass the switch for me, but there have been many long interruptions and I'm again in no rush.
  • Options
    thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I passed ROUTE with a month's worth of studying.
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA
  • Options
    Most people do indeed do Route first, after all, Route is 300-101, Switch is 300-115. I would do what you're more familiar with first(Switch) and do Route second so it's fresh when you do TSHOOT.

I took Switch first because I was more familiar with those topics.

And a lot of those people that do ROUTE first, recommend to do SWITCH first ;)