Options

Certs for System/Server Administration

Chrisbari14Chrisbari14 Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
What's going on Techexam community? Question. So I have my associates in Networking technologies and I'm sitting in for the n10-006 exam later this month. I just finished my first year of IT experience which is in a helpdesk position. What Certs should I get to be a system administrator? I work in a Windows Environment and I also would like to learn Vm ware one day. Any suggestions?!?!?

Comments

• Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would sit for your MCSA/MCSE and you can also get some VMWare certs. There are some people that are part of the forum that work for VMWare.
    Also you can watch youtube videos on Active Directory Users and Computers (a tool you will use daily).... and build on your experience to get off the desk....
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    What's going on Techexam community? Question. So I have my associates in Networking technologies and I'm sitting in for the n10-006 exam later this month. I just finished my first year of IT experience which is in a helpdesk position. What Certs should I get to be a system administrator? I work in a Windows Environment and I also would like to learn Vm ware one day. Any suggestions?!?!?

If you want to stay Windows, then the logical path would be to work on your MCSA for Windows Server. Leave the MCSE for a little bit longer down the road. One thing you can do is ask the server team (if you have one at your company) if you can help them out either when you have down time or after hours. The idea is to start with small tasks, building trust, and showing them you're interested in learning more about server administration. People like initiative and if they're passionate about their job, they will help you along your way.

VMware is easy to learn once you have the basics down. I started with vSphere for dummies but ended up studying a lot and learning from hands on more than from books. Eventually, having the VCP would help you in the VMware world, so don't bother with the VCA certifications since they're pretty much worthless.
  • Options
    Chrisbari14Chrisbari14 Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I work for a company where my IT director and me support some 100 users. I'm familiar with active directory, and I do some configuring on our dhcp server here and there.
  • Options
    bettsy584bettsy584 Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CCNA MCSA and VCP DCV is a nice baseline for any SysAdmin.

Obviously this depends the infrastructure you will support if you have HP Switching don't do Cisco, if you use Hyper-V maybe do MCSE Server and drop VCP. It's all about building cert skills around skills you will develop in the real world.

You never know a technology properly until you have done it for real. I can't explain why, you just can.....