Options

Passed my CISSP test on June 7

mjb2016mjb2016 Member Posts: 11 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone! First I would like to say THANK YOU for taking the time to post your test experience/journey/tips to passing the CISSP exams (and beyond). I’ve been frequenting this forum for the last month to get some insights and have gleaned a lot of useful information that helped me pass my test. Now it’s time for me to pay it forward by sharing my own experience/journey (please bear with me, my mind is still in a fog).
I’ve been working in the IA/Cybersecurity realm for the last four years as a government contractor. Prior to that, I was an IT in the Navy for 20+ years. I took the CISSP test for the first time 5+ years ago. My study plan/approach then was not the best. I had a free voucher so I thought I’d use it just to see what’s on the test. I took some time off from work and studied for about a week using the Shon Harris AIO book and some mp3s (can’t remember exactly who made it) that a co-worker gave me. I think I scored a 635 (if I remember correctly).
I started hitting the books again last December and scheduled my exam on April 30 at 8 am. For study materials, I purchased Eric Conrad’s study guide (third edition) and the 11th Hour. I also subscribed to CCCure’s practice test, watched Kelly Henderhan’s (old) videos, and downloaded Shon Harris’ mp3 to listen to during my commute. The night prior to my test, I tried to do a practice test (250 questions) that came with the Eric Conrad book. This made me uncomfortable and brought my confidence level down because I didn’t score very well. I did not finish the practice test and went to bed that night feeling restless. I took the test the next morning and was running on fumes. I was anxious to get the exam done and over with and to my detriment, didn’t really analyze the questions and answer from a manager mindset. I scored a 686. My husband has been very supportive throughout the entire process. He convinced me to take a stab at it again and not wait too long so that information is still fresh in my head. So I did and scheduled my third attempt on June 7.
Things that helped me pass the test:
1. Purchased the Sybex study guide and focused on the chapters that I scored the lowest on. I ended up reading almost the entire book (except for two chapters, my strong area). In retrospect, I believe this is the one book that really helped me because it was easy to read and concepts were reinforced in every chapter.
2. Scheduled my exam in the afternoon instead of early morning. I initially intended to schedule it on Saturday early morning, but there were no availabilities in my area until August. I opted not to wait so I scheduled it on a weekday afternoon instead (we are going on a vacation and wanted to take the test before we leave). As it turned out, this proved beneficial. I read on one post that it’s better to take it in the afternoon rather than early in the morning (after a sleepless night). I can definitely agree to that!
3. Watched the new Kelly Henderhan videos over the last few days prior to my exams.
4. Took three of the Sybex practice exams on the weekend prior to my exam to gauge my mental endurance. I felt more confident this time around.
5. Read my handwritten notes/flashcards the night prior to and the morning of the exams. A leisurely review is beneficial during this time (reserve your mental endurance for the actual test).
6. CCCure practice exams, at least 20 hard questions everyday. I was scoring 18 or above consistently over the last two weeks prior to my test.
7. Visited this forum regularly to glean from others’ experience.
On test day, I was tensed (albeit traumatized from my previous failures). A good friend of mine at work had handed me a piece of paper with a prayer before a test written on it. I read it a few times and said to myself “I’ll do my best, the rest I leave up to God.” I checked in at the test center, sat down in front of the computer feeling very nervous. I started the exam and was on question #20 (or thereabouts) when I started loosening up. I was in the zone so to speak. I kept repeating the mantra over and over in my head: answer from a management perspective, don’t fix the problem, senior management has ultimate responsibility, personnel safety always comes first, and most of all, how does ISC2 want me to answer this question? There were some technical questions, but management/business questions certainly dominated the exams. Four hours into the test, the mental fatigue set in. I took a 10 min break and had some snacks, water, and a trip to the restroom. When I sat back down, I felt refreshed and ready to tackle the remaining 60 questions. I picked up the pace this time, I felt the questions got easier. I reviewed the flagged questions (I had about 25) and changed the answer on about half of them. I had 5 minutes left on the timer when I was done. I walked nervously behind the proctor and followed her out of the test room. I was expecting the worse and hoping for the best. It didn’t take long for the printout. The proctor handed it to me with a smile and said “congratulations.” I was stoked and got teary-eyed after that, the feeling of relief rushing in. I walked out of the building feeling a little lighter, the black cloud lifted over my head.
So again folks, thank you much, it has been a pleasure! I’ll certainly visit every now and then to share what I can. And to those who are still embarked in the journey, good luck and will see you on the other side! Cheers!icon11.png

Comments

• Options
    Terminator XTerminator X Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats
    -Tact is for those not witty enough to be sarcastic-
    ~Unknown
  • Options
    Swimfan2516Swimfan2516 Member Posts: 42 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    firemike314firemike314 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!!!!! I am taking a bunch of practice exams now gearing up for the exam. Was the Sybex book useful? I have the Version 6 of Shon Harris, but I feel that it might be old information. Any help would be much appreciated!!! Congrats again man; a lot of relief I am sure!!!
  • Options
    webpriestesswebpriestess Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yay! Congratulations! :)
    ::Claudia
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!!!!
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    sameojsameoj Member Posts: 366 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    mjb2016mjb2016 Member Posts: 11 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    The Shon Harris book/study materials certainly helped me in understanding the concepts. But I got the most out of the Sybex book mostly because of the ease of reading. If you use the Shon Harris audio, I think that should be sufficient instead of pouring through her entire book. Best of luck!
  • Options
    ITWorkerITWorker Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi...Congrats for the Pass. I just cleared my CISSP as well yesterday.
    How long after the pass certificate are the details emailed from Isc2?