Options

How to figure out what a Permission Group actually does?

Benj94Benj94 Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hopefully this belongs in the Off-Topic section...

I just fixed a problem for a user who was unable to log on to a specific computer. We use a thin-client solution with Citrix XenApp. After loading the users profile, the computer was trying to establish a session, and the user was seeing a message which said 'Please wait for local session manager.'

After checking various bits and bats, I noticed that one of the users colleagues was in a group which was simply named CITRIX. I added the user to the group and the session was established. Issue resolved.

All I know about this group is that each user is supposed to be in it, and it allows the users to establish a session. However, I don't know how or why this works.

I hope I haven't complicated this by using a citrix issue was an example, but what I'd like to know is, if there isn't anybody who can advise me how this group works, how can I figure it out? Does it mean me trawling through Group Policy Management, or are there any easier ways, tips, tricks etc?

Server and Storage Analyst
CompTIA A+
MSCA: Server 2016 - 70-710 70-711 70-712

Comments

• Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    Benj94Benj94 Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well that's a crying shame. Being able to type a group name and be told which group policies are affected by said group would be a time-saver, but it is what it is I guess.

Cheers.

Server and Storage Analyst
    CompTIA A+
    MSCA: Server 2016 - 70-710 70-711 70-712