Options

Unrecognised entries in running config

GDainesGDaines Member Posts: 273 ■■■□□□□□□□
My memory and CF cards arrived yesterday so I've been upgrading all the 2811 routers in my lab to 512mb. I now have two running 12.4 AdvancedEnterprise using 64mb CF cards, and two running 15.0 AdvancedEnterprise using 128mb CF cards.

Having ran through the procedure to factory reset one of the IOS 15 units I deleted the existing startup config, said no to using the configuration wizard and no to using auto configuration, then configured a few basic settings: date & time, hostname, enable secret, ip subnet-zero, logging-sync, exec timeout, con/aux passwords and ssh.

At this point I've typed show run and there are a few entries in the running config that I didn't configure so I'm wondering both what they are, and if they're somehow left over from the original device configuration or whether they're default entries. Lines are:

dot11 syslog
ip source-route
multilink bundle-name authenticated
voice-card 0
license udi pid CISCO2811 sn FHK0843XXXX
redundancy
ip forward-protocol nd
control-plane
scheduler allocate 20000 1000

This particular unit has an NM-8A/S 8-port asynchronous serial card, no WIC cards, and nothing in the AIM or PVDM slots.

Comments

• Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've noticed all those entries on 2800 routers even after deleting the configuration. So, I guessing that they are there by default.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Yeah, most of these are default settings. Things that are always enabled/running will show up even if they are just set to defaults. It's a bit like how you will get the interfaces showing up, eg interface Gigabit 0/0, even though you might not have configured them. They are there with default (or no) settings.

dot11 as in 802.11, enables syslogging for dot11 events. Why this should be enabled on a device without wireless capability is best answered by someone else.
    source routing is enabled (lets the sender specify the path, but should be disabled for security 99.99% of the time)

defines how multilinks are named

voice-card - I can't find any good detail for this. It might just be because this is a Cisco ISR.

Licensing info. This works a bit different depending on platform. I think in this case it just holds the product type and serial.

start of redundancy configuration - basically like the "voice-card 0" it's a place holder. To configure redundancy, you'd enter redundancy configuration mode. But if there's nothing else, it means that there is no redundancy configuration.

Forwards Network Disk (ND) packets (very, very old protocol)

start of control-plane config section. Control-plane is like a 'virtual' interface on the router that receives the control plane information. You can add further configuration under this. It's like how the management plane has line vty 0 4 (and console, aux etc).

scheduler allocate interrupt-time process-time, where interrupt-time is the maximum number of microseconds to spend on fast switching and process-time is the minimum number of microseconds to spend at the process level when network interrupts are disabled. These need to have some values defined, and these are just convenient defaults.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    GDainesGDaines Member Posts: 273 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks OctalDump, useful info and happy to see things are not left over from previous configurations that might mess up anything I'm trying to do. The second 2811 I used in my first practice lab is running 12.4(13r)T SPServices (while the last one was 15.0(1)M9 AdvEnterprise) and has a couple of variations:

voice-card 0
    no dspfarm
    archive
    log config
    hidekeys

Not too worried about these entries, but if you happen to have a similar explanation I'm sure others will find the info equally interesting.

Now, time to reset the routers for the next lab....
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    dspfarm is related to the PVDMs. A router can be configured as a dspfarm (to provide DSP services to other devices). In this case, it isn't icon_smile.gif

archive is a configuration mode, like redundancy and control-plane. Archive is used for archiving config files, so that you can more easily rollback a change.

log config - "configuration change logger configuration mode", it's a sub config mode of above but for logging :-/

hidekeys - "suppresses the display of password information in configuration log files"

You can remove some of these from the running config by using the 'no' form.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    davenulldavenull Member Posts: 173 ■■■□□□□□□□
    voice-card 0 refers to the dsp module installed in the router. Do "show inventory" and you'll see it.