Options

Router practice labbing

GDainesGDaines Member Posts: 273 ■■■□□□□□□□
I now have four working 2811 routers, so as part of my preparations/revision for the exam I'm finally doing some labbing to gain a better understanding of routing protocols, their configuration, and all the commands around setting it up and checking it's all working. I've started with this lab.

Now okay, I accept I'm in no way ready for an exam yet, so forgive my stupidness, but some help please on how to configure this.

I've configured a serial link between Routers A and B setting the clock rate on Router A (DCE end) to 128000 and using IP address 172.16.1.1 255.255.255.252 (and 172.16.1.2 on the other end). I've configured two loopback interfaces on each Router with the specified IP addresses. I've issued no shutdown commands on every interface.

1. Do I need to configure anything else for this lab, for example any other interfaces, any other settings on the serial link, or routes of any kind such as a default route?

2. How do I configure RIPv2? I used the router rip and version 2 commands, then network 192.168.0.0 and network 172.16.1.0, and finally no auto-summary. Is that right, particularly the addresses used?

3. How do I ping from loopback int 0 on Router A to loopback int 0 on Router B?

Comments

• Options
    GDaines wrote: »
    3. How do I ping from loopback int 0 on Router A to loopback int 0 on Router B?

Don't worry about that one, I've worked out that to do an extended ping I simply type ping, then by enabling advanced options I can select the source IP address.
  • Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yes your setup rip v2 right. route rip version 2 that does it.
    I believe the network address are wrong. I believe rip uses classfull network address. So, it should be 192.168.1.0, 192.168.2.0 and 172.16.0.0
    and did you put a network 10.0.0.0 on router B
    always nice to do a sh ip route to check the routing table
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    GDaines wrote: »
    Don't worry about that one, I've worked out that to do an extended ping I simply type ping, then by enabling advanced options I can select the source IP address.

While that works, it's much easier to just supply what you need on the command "ping 4.2.2.2 source blah."
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    While that works, it's much easier to just supply what you need on the command "ping 4.2.2.2 source blah."

Thanks yes, it is much easier to use this method. I clearly haven't used ping to it's full potential before.
  • Options
    clarson wrote: »
    yes your setup rip v2 right. route rip version 2 that does it.
    I believe the network address are wrong. I believe rip uses classfull network address. So, it should be 192.168.1.0, 192.168.2.0 and 172.16.0.0
    and did you put a network 10.0.0.0 on router B
    always nice to do a sh ip route to check the routing table

I was doing show ip route and getting nothing but a few C and L entries, but turns out you were right about the network addresses I'd used, but that was only one part of the problem.

If I'm honest enough to admit to my error, I have a number of ports on my serial card connected to each of my other routers and last night couldn't understand why the port was always showing down/down. Well, this morning when doing a show ip int brief I noticed S1/2 was up and boom it hit me, I was using S1/0 which goes to a different router that is switched off. Once I'd configured the correct port I had a serial link between the two routers. And once I'd corrected the rip network entries I had full connectivity as was the objective.

Just shows, two smallish errors and nothing at all worked. New day, new eyes, and a little help from some friends and everything is sorted. Now onto the next protocol....
  • Options
    pinkiaiiipinkiaiii Member Posts: 216
    well seems you know basics-rest protocols are very simillar in setup bandwidth,no auto-summary,redistribute static,ip originate,seems quote few execrise labs ive done ask for md5 encryption key chain on ospf.guess theres a lot more but the two eigrp and ospf are target topics with STP rstpand dr/bdr elections,determining which becomes root or designated ports etc.
  • Options
    Okay I'm confused! I turn the lab off if I'm going out as there's no point wasting electric if I'm not using it, no different to there being a power failure in a production environment. So I've come back this afternoon and switched everything back on, it's been up now for 53 minutes, but when I do a show ip route there are no RIP routes in the table on either router.

On checking the running config it appears I'd not saved the network changes on RouterA so they'd been lost on a reboot, so I once again removed network 192.168.0.0 and added 192.168.1.0 and 192.168.2.0. How long before RIP routes should appear in the routing table? I want to be absolutely sure it works before I move on.
  • Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    well rip updates are every 30 seconds But it does take a few minutes for the router to boot up and intialize it's ports
  • Options
    I'm so stupid! I'd somehow configured 176.16.0.0 instead of 172.16.0.0 so even after 2 hours and a reboot it wasn't working. Corrected it and immediately it worked.

Just goes to show, remember to save your config as you might not always remember the changes you had made.

Thanks for everyone's input, shows how easy it is to make a silly little mistake which breaks everything.
  • Options
    pinkiaiiipinkiaiii Member Posts: 216
    not best advise but always use wr or do wr command when working in lab or pt,of course you need to remember for exam to use copy run start configs.
  • Options
    pinkiaiii wrote: »
    well seems you know basics-rest protocols are very simillar in setup bandwidth,no auto-summary,redistribute static,ip originate,seems quote few execrise labs ive done ask for md5 encryption key chain on ospf.guess theres a lot more but the two eigrp and ospf are target topics with STP rstpand dr/bdr elections,determining which becomes root or designated ports etc.

You give me too much credit. While there's a lot I do know now, and I've been able to pass on some of my knowledge to others, there's a lot I don't know. I'm currently re-reading the IP Routing section in parallel to doing the routing labs but still so much to learn. Before the lab I'd forgotten everything about RIP other than the statement it's rarely used and probably won't feature in the exam. We'll see! Still need to look at default route advertisement and passive interfaces, then it's on to EIGRP which again I have nothing in my study notes on the subject.