Options

15 top paying certifications of 2016

2»

Comments

• Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Stats like this are a joke. The A+ is not worth anything close to that. Maybe 30k or 35k with a net+.

As others have said these studies are flawed. First off look who conducted the study - a training provider who has a vested interest in you spending money with them to get these certifications.

Secondly, the people with these certificationsites (esp low ones like a+) probable have a ton of other skillets, experience or certifications that actually got them to 70k.

Most of those numbers are laughable.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    ^ What this guy says is true. I have some low level certs and "a ton of other skillets" icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    reload@reload@ Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow! I figured this was the case. I see that you have CCNP. Is the figures here even close to right?
    I make quite a bit more than what's listed there. I also have a bunch of entry level certs, and that's one of the reasons why surveys like these have no value. Senior Engineers/Architects with their permanent CompTIA certs from a long time ago would inflate the numbers for CompTIA certs. Then you also have entry-level technicians with professional/expert level certs bringing down those numbers. If you asked me a little over three years ago when I first got my CCNP, I would have told you that I don't even make half the listed salary in that survey.
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mmm country skillets ;)
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    StevenP2013StevenP2013 Member Posts: 23 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thomas_ wrote: »
    This is like saying women like guys that are nice, caring, sensitive, etc. However this is in addition to a bunch of other things that get left off the list.

Basically, the people who make those salaries are probably senior people who have collected a lot of certs over the course of their careers. Their entry level certs probably aren't applicable to their current salary, the experience that they gained over the career is the big driver of their salary.

Obviously, I am here to discuss or get information about IT related topics. But, it is nice to see the comparison to women's lists of what they are supposedly looking for in a guy. They conveniently leave out the base info of having to be 6' tall, make over $100K, etc etc.

My two cents worth.. I have 3 certs on that list, and 4 not listed. I do not make what #20 is supposedly making. =)
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Divide these numbers in half and you get the real salary lol
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    mog27mog27 Member Posts: 302
    I needed a good laugh and this list provided that!
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

"The internet is a great way to get on the net." --Bob Dole
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    this depends on the location and your experience.
    the 160k in san jose wont go a long way compare to a other cheap states.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    @NOC-NINJA, et. al. Also keep in mind OP is transitioning from the Ft. Campbell. Southern KY/Norther Tennessee isn't exactly a hotbed of technology. Maybe he could find something in the Nashville are but I would say Memphis might be a better pick. Lots of, and this is wierd to me, healthcare positions there abouts. Toyota has a plant in the area as well. Really need to look much farther out as military tends to want to stay in the area they last serve or head back to where they came. Something about familiarity.

Personally, I couldn't wait to be away from Campbell. Just not my environment - if you get me.

I think it was the radio call-in guy "explainin'" how he couldn't go somewhere 'cause Aunt Ma and Uncle Pa wouldn't like that...

Look to a large city for IT work. A+ is for Best Buy Geek squad. The rest are like training wheels and WGU fodder.

- b/eads
  • Options
    culpanoculpano Member Posts: 163
    You helped Bill Gates feed his kids. Be proud.

I've earned over $1m at one company purely on Microsoft certs and technologies so it's helped feed me too thanks.

I got a £500 a month raise back in 1998 purely for passing NT4 Workstation exam.

I'm not even an MCSE, I just passed the desktop exams over the years plus NT4 Server and TCP/IP yonks ago. I had a gap of 5 years doing Service Mgt stuff and after taking voluntary redundancy decided to start doing my Microsoft exams again.

So far I have passed the two configuring exams for Win 7 and Win 8.1 but just the Win 7 configuring exam got me a decent build/rollout job without an interview.

I've never touched Cisco stuff nor mucked about with routers and switches and it never did me any harm.

It's easy to be smart and disrespect Microsoft but it's kept me in a decent career and for me MS stuff is and always has been very interesting.
  • Options
    billDFWbillDFW Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Where does one get a "Six Sigma Green Belt" cert ? Why isn't black belt listed ?

How about "Certified Scrummaster" etc stuff
  • Options
  • Options
    @BillDFW;

Six Sigma Black belts are in high demand with ISO 2700x and 3600x certified or want to be certified organizations. They are also as rare as hen's teeth if not moreso. Very difficult course work and real project mastery. I have meet and known a couple. Very sharp people.

I personally watched 'Redz' from this board pass the white belt exam in little less than five minutes but that's not to say the rest of the exams are easy by any means.

Scrum master comes out of the development world and is almost comparable to a form of project management but specialized hands on type of knowledge. Never meet a scrum master in person but then again I rarely deal with dev types during the course of my day. Business, yes. HR absolutely. Devs? Somewhere in a dark corner. Not that I have any problem with dev-types I just don't head to that side of the house very often.

- b/eads
  • Options
    Thank you Beads !

Sorry to sound ill informed (hence the questions) but Agile seems the latest catch phrase now also

Any insight on that
  • Options
    Agile is for lack of a better explanation an add on or another layer to scrum cycle adding "inspect-and-adapt" approach to the line of business perspective before thrown back in to the scrum.

The scrum methodology actually goes all the way back to 1971 and is you might guess well understood and practiced. Agile on the other hand is a newer iteration or refinement. All good to know for SDLC and the CISSP exams out there.

- b/eads
  • Options
    beads wrote: »
    Agile is for lack of a better explanation an add on or another layer to scrum cycle adding "inspect-and-adapt" approach to the line of business perspective before thrown back in to the scrum.

The scrum methodology actually goes all the way back to 1971 and is you might guess well understood and practiced. Agile on the other hand is a newer iteration or refinement. All good to know for SDLC and the CISSP exams out there.

- b/eads

Beads if entry-level cyber experience, and you could ONLY get one or two certs, what would you recommend ? Sec+ and PMP ? Would that combo generate some calls for interviews ?

Thank You
  • Options
    soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    BILLDFW, I know this wasn't directed to me...but I feel like answering also.

Kind of a trick question, if you're entry level then you probably don't quality for the most attractive certs like CISSP, CCIE, PMP. So if you're truly entry level cyber then I'd guess the one or two most attractive for HR filters would be Sec+ and C|EH (don't kick me for including that).

If you're talking about which cert path for an entry cyber professional with only one or two certs then maybe Sec+ and wait 4 years for CISSP?
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • Options
    BILLDFW, I know this wasn't directed to me...but I feel like answering also.

Kind of a trick question, if you're entry level then you probably don't quality for the most attractive certs like CISSP, CCIE, PMP. So if you're truly entry level cyber then I'd guess the one or two most attractive for HR filters would be Sec+ and C|EH (don't kick me for including that).

If you're talking about which cert path for an entry cyber professional with only one or two certs then maybe Sec+ and wait 4 years for CISSP?

Thank you ! I do believe I qualify to test for the PMP due to extensive PM type work (non IT) at my cuurent place (fed govt). That plus I have a Top Secret clearance and not that anyone cares but I am bilingual English/ Spanish

Agree no way I can (presently) do CISSP
  • Options
    MrGoodMrGood Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm starting on Sec+ so this is good news. I'm in DC area and I have to laugh about the 1hr commute comment, been doing it over 15yrs. It's not that bad.