Options

Config backup problem

GDainesGDaines Member Posts: 273 ■■■□□□□□□□
Here's a new one on me so looking for ideas as to what may be wrong and how to resolve.

I have a Windows 7 PC hooked up to my lab on which I manage all my devices via serial console cables using Putty. On that PC I'm running SolarWinds TFTP Server and I've used this software to back up my configs and IOS for my original 3 switches and 3 routers.

Routers 4 and 5 are new 2811's and so haven't been backed up so far. I've loaded IOS 15.0(1)M9 AdvEnterprise onto Router 4 and called it 'RouterA' for the recent RIP practice lab I've been doing (while RouterB is no.3 of my original routers which is still running IOS 12.4(15)T7 SPServices). Thing is, when I run the command copy run tftp as I've done on all my other devices (including RouterB which backed up just fine a minute ago), the TFTP server starts to copy routera.confg, then states the file exists which it renames with the date and time and tries again, and then repeats this process 5 times in all before proclaiming 'Dropped because peer didn't respond'. When I check the TFTP folder there are 6 files but all are zero bytes.

Then tried to back up the IOS and the same thing happened, even after restarting the TFTP server.

Now remembering that RouterB (IOS 12) works just fine, what is happening with RouterA (IOS 15), why can't I back anything up? Is it maybe a bug in my IOS 15 version? While I also have AdvIPServices which I could load, it's exactly the same version number so may not make a difference if it is a bug, and I don't have any different versions I could load without going back to 12.

At the end of the day it's just a lab so it doesn't really matter, but I'd feel better if I could understand the problem just in case I ever encounter it in a production environment and really need to back up configs.

Comments

• Options
    GDainesGDaines Member Posts: 273 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Forget it, I've just seen the problem.

Not only was F0/0 Administratively down, even when I issued a no shutdown I still couldn't ping the TFTP server. Why? Because my RIP routing lab is sending all 10.x.x.x traffic across the serial link to RouterB whereas I want 10.10.x.x traffic to use exit interface F0/0 while 10.1.x.x and 10.2.x.x traffic traverses the serial link to RouterB.

I tried adding a static route to RouterA ip route 10.10.0.0 255.255.0.0 F0/0 10 but it didn't add anything to the routing table when I ran show ip route, so instead I made changes to the RIP network settings on RouterB. I did notice after removing 10.0.0.0 and adding 10.1.0.0 and 10.2.0.0 that when I ran show ip route on RouterB the routing table now includes additional entries including a default static entry and the gateway of last resort.

C 10.10.1.0/24 is directly connected, FastEthernet0/0
    S* 0.0.0.0/0 [254/0] via 10.10.1.1

Switching back to RouterA, and after correcting two more mistakes I'd made (a router rip network entry for 10.0.0.0, and no IP address set on F0/0) everything now works - I can ping the loopback interfaces at the other end via the serial connection, I can ping the TFTP server via F0/0, and most importantly I can now back up my config.