Options

Enough time for 200-120 CCNA v2.0 (or ICND1 and ICND2 v2.0)?

JKno11JKno11 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have Lammle's "CCNA Routing and Switching Study Guide: Exams 100-101, 200-101, and 200-120." I began reading it less than a year ago and then work got in the way. I made it to chapter 2.

Recently, my employer required me to obtain CompTIA Network+ and I passed the exam. I'd like to do CCNA now and noticed that the v2.0 exams are expiring this August and September.

I've been told to take the two part exam for CCNA, ICND1 and ICND2. Considering the exam expiration timeline, should I:
a)wait for v3 and the associated materials
b)study for and sit ICND1 and ICND2
c)study for and sit 200-120 CCNA v2.0

I'm a sysadmin with a strong technical background. I want to move to a position with more of a focus on networking or cybersecurity in this calendar year.

Comments

• Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd say the ccna takes about 140 hours of studying, give or take. Do you have that kind of time. a few hours everyday and you can do it. There is about 90 days before the test expires. 2 hours a day is about 180 hours of studying. That is pretty tight. There isn't any room for slacking off. And, you should be pretty much ready for the icnd1 in about a month. If you aren't, you need to up the study time.

But, 90% of the v2 test is going to be on the v3 test. So start studying now. If you make it great. if not, you have the majority of the studying behind you and a just few things to study to make the v3 test. OSI model still the same, vlans and trunking still the same, ospf and eigrp is still the same, acls still the same, ipv4 and ipv6 still the same, nat and dhcp still the same, etc. There is a lot you can study right now that will be on the v3 test if you don't get to take the v2 test first.

But, I'm with other people on the forum, go with the v2 test. It is a test we already know and know how to prepare for it. Will the v3 test be better, probably not. Study materials aren't out yet but should be soon. How good will they prepare you for the test? Will the test itself be buggy? Will the passing score be too high? etc. I rather not be a test guinea pig for their new test while on my dime. Go with the devil you know.

So, get started now. get your study materials, make a commitment, and study everyday. You can do it.