Options

Study Labs

Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
I would like to build a lab to help me on my studies but I don't have any physical router or switch. Now, I have used a Cisco packet tracer in my earlier days into IT and one of the guys who has been studying for Cisco certs recommends GNS3 to build a virtual lab.

My question here is, which is much preferable virtual labs or the physical labs and if there is any difference between the two how are they different from a learning perspective?

Can Virtual labs alone do the trick on their own and which application do you most recommend?

What are using and how is the setup?

Comments

• Options
    GDainesGDaines Member Posts: 273 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Snow.bros wrote: »
    I would like to build a lab to help me on my studies but I don't have any physical router or switch. Can Virtual labs alone do the trick on their own and which application do you most recommend?

Personally I use a physical lab. I've had to open up my routers to fit additional ram, fit new flash cards, add and remove expansion cards, arrange everything in a rack and cable it up, and factory reset devices to remove passwords/usernames. In addition to this I've had to calculate my requirements and source components and cables to put it all together and get it to work. None of this experience can be gained from a virtual environment and it replicates tasks you may well perform in the real world. The biggest downside to a physical lab, however, is the cost (both for the equipment and to run it) which you don't have if you're doing everything in software, and the noise.

As for whether a virtual lab is sufficient, I've seen the question answered on many occasions and I'm sure there'll be many advocates come along soon and tell you it's perfectly sufficient. It certainly looks quicker to set up and dismantle different lab environments.
  • Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm like GDaines, I have my own cisco equipment. I tried using packet tracer and was spending a lot of time just trying to learn how it works. Which was probably because I never used packet tracer or cisco equipment before. So, it might have been packet tracer or just my lack of experience. But, I thought which should I spend my time learning how it works, packet tracer or cisco equipment. There aren't a lot of jobs out there looking for people who know how packet tracer work and there are a lot of jobs looking for people who know how cisco equipment works. I have cisco equipment.

But, many say packet tracer is more than good enough for the ccent. And, if you have read other posts on the forum, you know that packet tracer is now free and will tell you where to get it. Free is in my price range. If it is in your, give it a shot. Maybe you will save some money. Worsest case you will know you need to buy some equipment.
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    GDainesGDaines Member Posts: 273 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Snow.bros wrote: »
    Thanks for advising guys, I guess physical equipment is necessary huh.

Probably not necessary, but in the eyes of many of us very beneficial.

On that note, and assuming you decide to look for physical equipment, spend your money wisely, especially if you have to buy from other countries. Don't be mislead into buying really old equipment that the seller claims is sufficient for what you need, especially if newer models cost the same or only very slightly more. Do a search for HOME LAB as there are many old threads from earlier this year with all the info you'll need.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Packet Tracer will get you through the CCNA. But there's little things here and there that you just can't do on a simulator or just won't come up in a simulator. Troubleshooting layer 1 and layer 2 problems comes to mind. It's definitely advisable to get some real gear if possible, even if you do plan to use Packet Tracer for the bulk of your studies.
  • Options
    Sy KosysSy Kosys Member Posts: 105 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Honestly, the best part is when things DON'T work in the physical labs and you trace that cable, or review the configurations, etc hunting down the cause...You find yourself neck-deep in one lab, and notice one of the ports is amber when it shouldn't be, so you dig into it. This has been invaluable to my studies so far.

You'll eventually be working with physical equipment, get a head start on that icon_thumright.gif
    "The size of your dreams must always exceed your current capacity to achieve them. If your dreams do not scare you, they are not big enough.”
    ― Ellen Johnson Sirleaf