Options

New ccna 2016 dropped serial wan tecnology

Louis14Louis14 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■■■□□□□□□□
I ask myself how can you study wan tecnology without serial connections?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Serial connections are a good history lesson these days, but everything has gone the way of Ethernet. Good to see the CCNA staying current.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    they are dropped from the ccna. But, they are still in the ccnp.
    And, just a thought, with a lot of the additions to the ccna coming from the ccnp, maybe in the next ccnp they will drop serial also. But, add ethernet over mpls.
  • Options
    reload@reload@ Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't remember seeing any serial connections when I did the CCNP. I believe they did away with them when they switched to the three tests (ROUTE/SWITCH/TSHOOT).
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    MetroEthernet and fibre. Virtually every place I've done work for has had fibre, EFM, or for smaller offices where money is an issue, DSL or cable. 64kbps serial is, well, last century. Even T1/E1 or T3/E3 is slow by comparison to what the cheap options give these days. And this is in a backwards country like Australia ;)

There is no real 'serial' stuff in the current CCNP, either. It's a convenient way to set up point to point links for labs. And the CCNP ROUTE does cover point to point, point to multipoint and Nonbroadcast multi-access networks (NBMA), although is relatively agnostic about the underlying technologies. I think they might bring up framerelay as a specific case. The expectation is that you would know something about serial links, though.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    well, off the exam topics for the ccnp route (300-101) test:
    2.2 Explain Frame Relay
    2.2.a Operations
    2.2.b Point-to-point
    2.2.c Multipoint
  • Options
    xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    reload@ wrote: »
    I don't remember seeing any serial connections when I did the CCNP. I believe they did away with them when they switched to the three tests (ROUTE/SWITCH/TSHOOT).
    CCNP Tshoot topology (Frame Relay)
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    clarson wrote: »
    well, off the exam topics for the ccnp route (300-101) test:
    2.2 Explain Frame Relay
    2.2.a Operations
    2.2.b Point-to-point
    2.2.c Multipoint

Yeah, but it's at route level, not layer 2 (or lower), so doesn't go in much depth to all that annoying stuff. Mostly it's about getting routing protocols working on these topologies. There's a little bit of layer 2 config, like bandwidth or making links point to point vs multipoint. But not like the CCNA stuff with PPP, HDLC, configuring authentication methods and the intricacies of PAP vs CHAP.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    I haven't taken the ccnp or even started studying for it. But, the exam topics give this as 10% of the test. Maybe it is an easy 10%, maybe not.

layer 2 technologies 10%
    2.1 Configure and verify PPP
    2.1.a Authentication (PAP, CHAP)
    2.1.b PPPoE (client side only)
    2.2 Explain Frame Relay
    2.2.a Operations
    2.2.b Point-to-point
    2.2.c Multipoint
  • Options
    pinkiaiiipinkiaiii Member Posts: 216
    when i stumbled across wan and all serial crap t1 lines 64kbps i thought it was some sort of joke-im just amazed that someone would drop cash into some 1.5mpbs connection,when nowadays even most remote places have infrastructures around them to support fiber and splice in at any given location thus MPLS or tunneling offers reduced costs and close to fiber speeds.if it was 1980s then id imagine it would be beneficial option since network sizes were dozen pcs at most where now you have corporations that if they branch out its in 100-1000 pcs that need to be connected together and them speeds wouldnt do any job.thus as someone mentioned no one offers frame-relay or serial connections and those few that exist either just live in 80s thus not a single ISP would be looking for someone to know what the hell frame relay is when they have already moved on since such services aren't needed anymore and there's no profit in them.
  • Options
    reload@reload@ Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took ROUTE when it was 642-902 and it wasn't in the blueprint. I'm surprised they reintroduced it but it doesn't appear to be a big portion. Along with PPP, it takes up only 10%.

I think T1s will be in use for quite a while. Fiber is not always an option due to price and politics. You can bundle T1s to get more bandwidth, and some places are fine with 1.5Mbps. Most enterprise engineers will probably not have to deal with T1s though since the service is usually delivered as Ethernet even if the last mile is TDM.