Options

EtherChannel Question

Jason RJason R Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
So, I purchased the CCNP Switch Lab manual and followed all the instructions. I have two switch ports on a switch that are trunked, in a native vlan 66, and configured to use pagp. The switch on the other end is the same. I noticed that the port channel interface defaults to native vlan 1. I noticed the CDP native vlan mismatch errors indicating this. My question is this: Why wouldn't the CCNP lab manual state that these channel interfaces need to be placed in the same native vlans as the bundled switchports? I do hope I have explained this correctly. Thanks guys.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'm not sure why it's not something stated specifically, but obviously the individual ports should have all config done via the port channel. You shouldn't have individual members configured separately as they are to operate as a one logical trunk. Sending some frames tagged on one and not another isn't a very good idea.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Jason RJason R Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello networker050184,

Thank you for the response. The book does specify that it is a good practice to only change the port channel interface as the switch port interfaces inherit the commands from the interface. It just threw me off when it didn't say that the interface needs the same native vlan as the switchports.
  • Options
    sschwietermansschwieterman Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If I recall correctly I do believe my CCNA book mentioning this in the etherchannel section.