PC display driver crash Question.

ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
I am having a issue with my PC.... I will explain in detail

Currently my computer is running a I7 processor, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 280, I have 1TB and 500GB worth of storage. I have two monitors and I usually have a game running on one Monitor and IT related stuff or Social media on the other one. The issue that I am having (Im not sure if its the ram or the card) When I am playing Garrys Mod for PC and I have like youtube or even other stuff on the other screen.... BOTH screens will turn black and go into power saving mode randomly.... THEN my second monitor will come on with the reg screen and the main screen that I have running my game on will be white but I can still hear the game sounds but I have to restart the game....

When I play any other games It does something different....

Let's say im playing Mass Effect 2..... The screens will go black but then the game screen is black then I see the picture return. I then see the following error message

"Nivida GeForce display driver has stopped responding and has recovered."

It will ONLY do this when I play mass effect 2..... Prob bc the game is THAT good :D

Every other game including GTAV, Fallout New Vegas, Garrys Mod etc.... I get the white screen crash. So I need to figure out if I need a new Card, more ram or Both...

I also have made sure ALL my drivers on my card are up to date.... but the fan on my card no longer works, but I have about 7 fans in my case.
In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
“The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios

Comments

  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Unless you have a ton of other stuff open, 8 GB is enough for a gaming rig. But you can do a memtest if you want to make sure the RAM is good.

    Has it always done this? If not, what has changed?

    Does it do this on multiple driver versions then I'm assuming? E.g. it was doing this before you updated to the latest version.

    It's probably not a heating issue but I'd still download MSI afterburner and make sure with the temperature.

    What do your windows event logs say?
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds like the video card especially since the fan stopped working, but need more info as stated above from markulous.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    markulous wrote: »
    Unless you have a ton of other stuff open, 8 GB is enough for a gaming rig. But you can do a memtest if you want to make sure the RAM is good.

    Has it always done this? If not, what has changed?

    Does it do this on multiple driver versions then I'm assuming? E.g. it was doing this before you updated to the latest version.

    It's probably not a heating issue but I'd still download MSI afterburner and make sure with the temperature.

    What do your windows event logs say?

    It has been doing this ever since I got the second monitor... and I updated the game and the drivers. It is like off and on.... it will happen or it wont happen. I will check my logs and post them here
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • wd40wd40 CISA, eJPT, MCP, MCTS, CompTIA x 6 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Your card is Old.

    I replaced my GTS 250 (purchased in 2009) 3 years ago after facing similar issues.

    It could be that your power supply can't handle the load anymore, your card is dead, driver issues (Good luck with getting support for a 7 years old card), card maybe overheating, card's fans are dead (you can replace those sometimes) etc.

    Download GPUz to check the card status and CPUz to check CPU status.

    https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
    CPU-Z | Softwares | CPUID
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    wd40 wrote: »
    Your card is Old.

    I replaced my GTS 250 (purchased in 2009) 3 years ago after facing similar issues.

    It could be that your power supply can't handle the load anymore, your card is dead, driver issues (Good luck with getting support for a 7 years old card), card maybe overheating, card's fans are dead (you can replace those sometimes) etc.

    Download GPUz to check the card status and CPUz to check CPU status.

    https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
    CPU-Z | Softwares | CPUID

    I agree. My card fan is dead and is no longer moving.... I will download those and check it out... Also would ram be an issue? I do have like 3 windows open on my other monitor.... 1 for social media, one for youtube and 1 for google.... in case I get stuck and need to google something
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Check your task manager when you're running the game. If your RAM usage never goes much over 80% then your RAM is fine. I still use 8 gb for my gaming rig. Games don't really eat up a ton of memory.

    If you unplug the second monitor does it go away?

    If you can afford another video card I'd definitely go that route. If you can't then you can possibly try a new windows profile and a clean install of the Nvidia software.
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    markulous wrote: »
    Check your task manager when you're running the game. If your RAM usage never goes much over 80% then your RAM is fine. I still use 8 gb for my gaming rig. Games don't really eat up a ton of memory.

    If you unplug the second monitor does it go away?

    If you can afford another video card I'd definitely go that route. If you can't then you can possibly try a new windows profile and a clean install of the Nvidia software.

    When I play GTAV on low settings I have 2% mem and almost 100% usage....
    With Garrys Mod I can still run things on my second monitor... with GTAV I can't (thats the only game I play that I cant run things on the second monitor and if I do I have low FPS and a laggy game)

    And it still does it with the monitor unplugged. But I have left it on all day yesterday with nothing on my second monitor and it did not crash.... and I will see if it crashes again when I get home from work today... But when I left for work the game was still running and on working fine....

    (I leave the game on to rack up points in Gmod Cinema)
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Almost 100% memory usage running GTAV? Their recommended hardware requirements are 8GB, so I'd be surprised if that wasn't good enough unless you have a crap ton of other stuff open.

    Just based on the info so far and the error you mentioned, it sounds related to either the driver of you card or the card itself.
  • wd40wd40 CISA, eJPT, MCP, MCTS, CompTIA x 6 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ITSpectre wrote: »
    I agree. My card fan is dead and is no longer moving....

    They put the fan there for a reason, it prevents the GPU from over heating! overheating is not good for you.
Sign In or Register to comment.