Options

CISSP - Determining when ready

FoleyFoley Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Folks,

I'm coming off a sequence of SCCP, CISA & CISM certifications. The vast majority of the CISSP material I have already covered and pretty familiar with. In doing the CCCure/Sybex tests I pretty much only miss the granular questions or some vague model question.

I'm tempted to just walk in and take the test but don't want to risk a possible fail and the money associated with it. Any recommendations on a measurement that indicates a high pass probability? If I can do 200 CCCure questions at 90% or the same on the Sybex test questions? Do I really have to know Bell-LaPadula's birthdays or is knowing what they created good enough?

Thanks for any insight ... really trying to figure out if I already have the CISSP knowledge based on my other certs.

Thanks ...

btw SCCP, CISA, CISM is not getting me past HR because the job I want has a specific CISSP requirement.

Comments

• Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Foley wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I'm coming off a sequence of SCCP, CISA & CISM certifications. The vast majority of the CISSP material I have already covered and pretty familiar with. In doing the CCCure/Sybex tests I pretty much only miss the granular questions or some vague model question.

I'm tempted to just walk in and take the test but don't want to risk a possible fail and the money associated with it. Any recommendations on a measurement that indicates a high pass probability? If I can do 200 CCCure questions at 90% or the same on the Sybex test questions? Do I really have to know Bell-LaPadula's birthdays or is knowing what they created good enough?

Thanks for any insight ... really trying to figure out if I already have the CISSP knowledge based on my other certs.

Thanks ...

btw SCCP, CISA, CISM is not getting me past HR because the job I want has a specific CISSP requirement.

If you have $600 burning a hole in your pocket, then give it a go. I over prepared for mine.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Its not the lack of Cissp that's not getting you past HR filters, but most likely your resume or experience is lacking. You might want to look at those before you make such a claim. Theres plenty of people here that as soon as they put CISSP on their resume their phone went off the hook.
  • Options
    goatamagoatama Member Posts: 181
    I did have several questions that related to security models and associated concepts. If you're doing that well, I'd say find a copy of the gold AIO book, 6th edition, and just read pg 365 - 408. And be pretty familiar with physical security concepts.
    WGU - MSISA - Done!!
    Next up: eCPPT, eWDP, eWPT, eMAPT
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Foley wrote: »

Then get your CISSP. If the job has a REQUIREMENT for CISSP.... then that is why you are not making it past the filters..... Anything under requirements is really something you need to have or your resume will be tossed to the side.... it is like applying for a CCNA job but you only have Net+..... its not gonna work.

Having CISSP knowledge but you dont have the cert? That does not matter. I can have CCNA, and RHCSA knowledge but it doesn't matter to employers if I do not have the certs.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ITSpectre wrote: »
    Then get your CISSP. If the job has a REQUIREMENT for CISSP.... then that is why you are not making it past the filters..... Anything under requirements is really something you need to have or your resume will be tossed to the side.... it is like applying for a CCNA job but you only have Net+..... its not gonna work.

Having CISSP knowledge but you dont have the cert? That does not matter. I can have CCNA, and RHCSA knowledge but it doesn't matter to employers if I do not have the certs.

The IT world is not black and white, there's other shades too. Someone not having the CISSP but having CISA and CISM makes for the CISSP since in the eyes of many people, those 2 certs are very closely related to many areas.
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    The IT world is not black and white, there's other shades too. Someone not having the CISSP but having CISA and CISM makes for the CISSP since in the eyes of many people, those 2 certs are very closely related to many areas.

Exactly. If his resume is good and he still is not making it past filters then it may be the CISSP he needs to get. HR people dont know a thing about IT in reality.... they only know about it based on job desriptions :D
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Siding with ITSpectre on this one. The apparent lack of qualifications other than a couple of easy certs feels obvious. With no doubt nearly every post like this starts with something akin to: I have 12 years of IT experience and 8 of those years in security... blah, blah.

HR is catching on (again) to the paper tiger syndrome of yesteryear and is getting tired of being bitten by said tiger. Experience trumps certs any day. Certifications were originally designed to be proof or capstone of an examines' abilities in a field. Never a substitute for class time and hard lessons learned on the job.

- b/eads
  • Options
    ArmyGuy45ArmyGuy45 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi all, newb here.

I am lacking in Network and Database Management. I just took the CISSP last week and it seemed to be heavy in both of those fields. I got a 651 out of the 700 needed. I will study up some more before I retest.

I have been using the IC2 CBK book, Shon Harris book and various Army training.