Outrageously expensive books

TechGromitTechGromit GSEC, GCIH, GREM, Ontario, NY Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■■□
I signed up for "Network Forensics: Continuous Monitoring and Instrumentation" course at BlackHat this year. The course recommended you be familiar with Wireshark, which I have no knowledge / experience on. To get the most out of the class, I wanted to get a book to become proficient in Wireshark, and where do you go for books with good prices, Amazon of course. I ordered "Wireshark Network Analysis (Second Edition): The Official Wireshark Certified Network Analyst Study Guide" used for $75, which I thought was a little steep. Anyway when I received the book, they send me the wrong one, they sent me "Wireshark Certified Network Analyst: Official Exam Prep Guide", the book I wanted is over 900 pages, this book is only around 175 pages. Anyway when I was filing a return merchandise request, I see that Amazon is charging $668 for the book I have, used, and over 3 grand for the same book new. I was floored, maybe I should keep it and sell it on Ebay, buy the book I need and pocket the difference. My excitement was short lived, the same book is selling on Ebay for $60.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireshark-Certified-Network-Analyst-Official/dp/1893939987

This isn't the first time I've seen books that were priced outrageously on Amazon, apparently they used a formula to set the prices of the books and when there are only a few copies left in there inventory, it pushes the prices to unreasonable levels, despite often the same book is available for other sources at a much more reasonable price.

I guess I pays to shop around. If anyone is interested, I'll be happy to sell you my book for $500 before I return it, it's cheaper than Amazon.
Still searching for the corner in a round room.

Comments