Options

Salary Negotiations for Government Jobs

aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
I've been looking to get into the public sector for IT security work and I've heard varying accounts of how their salaries work. Is it at all possible to negotiate salaries or is there a formulaic process that the government uses to calculate the salary they will pay you?

I've heard some people say they've negotiated and gotten better offers, but have also been told that for government jobs, they have a certain pay grade which defines a range. They will then calculate where you will be paid in that range based on years of experience and certifications with no room for negotiation. Is there any truth to this?
2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)

Comments

• Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I only went to 1 interview for a government job so far, what they told me was that if i was to be offered the job they will only give me 5% increase of my current salary and that it was not negotiable to go any higher, supposedly because the benefits are so much better.
  • Options
    Nightflier101BLNightflier101BL Member Posts: 134 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've never had any luck trying to negotiate higher salaries in local government. I used to work for one and just had a recent interview and offer from another. The recent one straight out told me that they cannot go any higher than 10% over the bottom rate on the scale. That was before I ever said anything. It was even written in their employee manual that new hires cannot go over a certain amount on that scale. When I worked for the previous employer, all I ever got was around a 1.5% COLA raise each year, even though my job responsibilities increased tremendously and I had gotten multiple certifications since I started.

There is usually better job security, however. My first local government job has the best benefits in the area but also the absolute lowest pay. From what I've seen, these types of jobs are filled with guys that just want to ride the thing out until retirement.

And I really wish that these places would STOP posting the salary ranges if they are aren't even close to attainable for new hires. I'm convinced that they're not attainable for anyone.

Sorry, I have a small grudge with local government. Federal or state could be totally different but I do believe the better benefits and job security are still there.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    aderon wrote: »
    I've heard some people say they've negotiated and gotten better offers, but have also been told that for government jobs, they have a certain pay grade which defines a range. They will then calculate where you will be paid in that range based on years of experience and certifications with no room for negotiation. Is there any truth to this?

I do know someone who turned down the Federal government's first offer and was able to negotiate a better starting salary. In that case the guy was already a federal government contractor, performing the job and was being offered an opportunity to become a federal employee. Unless you have very desirable skills, knowledge, or know the hiring manager (by working there as a contractor) chances are your not going to have much leverage to negotiate a better starting salary. Especially coming in from the outside, not being a contractor working for them first.

The only thing I can suggest is only apply for position levels that offer you a starting salary you want to start at. So if there is a FG-9 and FG-11 job posting, only apply for the FG-11 position, and ignore the GF-9. If you apply for both, they will always pick the lower salary position if they make you an offer. Government jobs are highly desirable, the chances of getting an interview, let alone getting hired is like winning the lottery, if you get offered a job, I would just take the offer, if you turn it down, holding out for more money, chances they will just move on the next candidate.

My advise applies to Federal Government positions, I don't know how state of local government hire.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    In New Jersey at the State level there is sometimes a little wiggle room, but not much. They will post the scale for the job and you should enter figuring that they'll start you at the bottom of that scale. I have seen them go a little above it and have seen them change the grade of the position for someone that really fit the bill, but that is rare. But in New Jersey we have steps like the Feds and so you know where you will be when you top out. Typically it takes 13.5 years to get to the top of your scale and that is with no promotions. Right now though we have been frozen on our current step for coming on two years due to contract issues. As others have stated our benefits are really good, but they're expensive. Though my understanding is you get less and pay a lot more in the private sector.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Pretty much the only way to negotiate a higher salary for a government job, is to have skills and qualifications so desirable that you'd make WAY more money in the private sector.
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Within the federal jobs there are ranges based on certain skills, experience, degree, etc. Let's say all of that combined you qualify for a GG-9 position, or the position they're hiring for is GG-9 and they don't give you a choice, that's fine. WITHIN each pay grade there are steps of salary, this part is negotiable. They will also increase based on time in and merit. Some hiring personnel will tell you the step isn't negotiable because they want to bring you in at the minimum, but it absolutely is. I've seen people hired on at GG-11, but their "stepped out" to the point that their pay is exceeds the a lot of the 12's.
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It all depends on the agency you want to work for. All of them have a certain pay grade, and they can bump you up slightly, but there's a certain range that they have to stay in. One thing to keep in mind, is that if you get hired for a specific pay grade, (GS-12 Step 10), if your position is not promotable, and they hire you in at the top of your pay scale, the only pay raises your going to see each year possibly COLA and/or a 1% increase.

If you want to talk further about how things work a bit more, send me a PM with any questions.