Options

Remote? Do I qualify?

PUNISHPUNISH Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
So my career goal is to work from home and make about 80-90k.

I have the second part down, but am now looking for remote positions in security.

I am going to start applying here and there, but is there anything I should be specifically looking for? I have never held a remote position so any advice would help.

Also, would I sound competitive (in the 80k range) with the following credentials for a remote security job?

6 years site ISSM
10 years IT
CISSP, sec+
High clearance
All gov work
32 years old

Comments

• Options
    Oh and a BS (non IT) and some assosiate degrees (IT)
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Impossible to answer really. What qualifications needed and whether you can work remote depends completely on the individual company. Some are much more lenient than others.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I wouldn't count on finding a work at home clearance job anytime soon. Listing at least a four year degree helps as it shows (hopefully) that you've been taught how to read and write competently. This isn't always the case; I've read many a memo wondering if some of these college "grads" passed penmanship in primary.

Check out this site for remote and semi-remote positions. Look very closely to the actual descriptions as many times these are really "work from home" but travel 80 percent of the time.

https://www.virtualvocations.com/

- b/eads
  • Options
    SoCalGuy858SoCalGuy858 Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Impossible to answer really. What qualifications needed and whether you can work remote depends completely on the individual company. Some are much more lenient than others.

^^ Absolutely this.

All companies will differ.... it'll all boil down to things like specific job function / responsibilities, your supervisors opinions on working from home, and company culture.

I work in security remotely, however, the following applied before said happened:

1) I had already been in the security position within an office for 8 months before going remote.
    2) I had already been in a corporate office for [almost] 3 years as a whole before going remote (sysadmin before security analyst)
    3) I have been "remote" from any and all supervisors since starting with the company (all located in geographically dispersed offices).
    4) Having transitioned from being a local sysadmin, I wasn't bound to the in-house users I supported anymore.

From my experiences on both coastlines (San Diego - very heavy on the DoD side, and currently Raleigh - heavy on non-DoD tech).... WFH security jobs are very far and few between, especially ones available with companies from the get-go. I'm 24 and only have an associates, so I feel as if I'm a "unicorn" when it comes to this, but it may boil down to getting your foot in the door with a given company, building up a good rapport with your leadership, and "popping the question" to see if WFH may fly in the new office. That is - without a doubt - the only reason why I'm in the position I'm in right now.

Good luck!
    LinkedIn - Just mention you're from TE!
  • Options
    ChevelChevel Member Posts: 211 ■■■□□□□□□□
    beads wrote: »
    I wouldn't count on finding a work at home clearance job anytime soon. Listing at least a four year degree helps as it shows (hopefully) that you've been taught how to read and write competently. This isn't always the case; I've read many a memo wondering if some of these college "grads" passed penmanship in primary.

Check out this site for remote and semi-remote positions. Look very closely to the actual descriptions as many times these are really "work from home" but travel 80 percent of the time.

- b/eads

Interesting you posted that....I thought they were fake company.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies.

I do see a few jobs posted for security architecture and engineering so I most likely will be applying for those types of positions.

I take the ISSAP next month and will start to seriously consider remote employment at that time.

The funny thing is that the position advertisements are asking for expert knowledge in basically every technology available ha ha. I have never met nor will I ever meet anyone that has expert level knowledge in CISCO, Linux, python, C++, VOIP, VTC, RMF, Windows, Networking, Java, Unix, Pen testing and it goes on.....

People can't really expect anyone to apply for that kind of advertisement can they?
  • Options
    victor.s.andreivictor.s.andrei Member Posts: 70 ■■■□□□□□□□
    PUNISH wrote: »
    So my career goal is to work from home and make about 80-90k.

I have the second part down, but am now looking for remote positions in security.

I am going to start applying here and there, but is there anything I should be specifically looking for? I have never held a remote position so any advice would help.

Also, would I sound competitive (in the 80k range) with the following credentials for a remote security job?

6 years site ISSM
    10 years IT
    CISSP, sec+
    High clearance
    All gov work
    32 years old

SAIC was hiring remote engineers for its GSA IT support contract a while back. Only a Public Trust is needed, though. You may be able to find some at Northrop Grumman or Lockheed Martin if you look carefully.
    Q4 '18 Certification Goals: Cisco ICND2; JNCIA-Junos; Linux+; Palo Alto ACE

2018-2020 Learning Goals: non-degree courses in math (Idaho, Illinois NetMath, VCU) and CS/EE (CU Boulder, CSU)
    in preparation for an application to MS Math + CS/EE dual-master's degree program at a US state school TBD by Q4'21

To be Jedi is to face the truth...and choose.
    Give off light...or darkness, Padawan.
    Be a candle...or the night.
    (Yoda)
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I don't think I've ever met 100% of the qualifications on any job ad I've applied to.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    beads wrote: »

- b/eads
    Oh common, all a remote classified gov job would require would be a garage built to SCIF standards, type 1 encryption device, a safe certed by NSA, some crypto keys and fill device, accreditation from the governing org and an inspection every 6 months or so...

With all the money lying around in the gov I bet I can negotiate that in my job interview.

...BTW thanks for the link! Great post.
  • Options
    victor.s.andreivictor.s.andrei Member Posts: 70 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Oh yeah, I forgot: Dell SecureWorks hires remote firewall advisors all the time. Remote as in WFH 100% from the get go.
    Q4 '18 Certification Goals: Cisco ICND2; JNCIA-Junos; Linux+; Palo Alto ACE

2018-2020 Learning Goals: non-degree courses in math (Idaho, Illinois NetMath, VCU) and CS/EE (CU Boulder, CSU)
    in preparation for an application to MS Math + CS/EE dual-master's degree program at a US state school TBD by Q4'21

To be Jedi is to face the truth...and choose.
    Give off light...or darkness, Padawan.
    Be a candle...or the night.
    (Yoda)
  • Options
    broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I currently work remotely (100%) now and make quite a bit more than that. You'll find plenty of roles like this in the professional services/consulting space. Don't focus too much on qualifications, but experience. Do you have a skill set that is in high demand and what value can you bring to customers?
  • Options
    broli720 wrote: »
    I currently work remotely (100%) now and make quite a bit more than that. You'll find plenty of roles like this in the professional services/consulting space. Don't focus too much on qualifications, but experience. Do you have a skill set that is in high demand and what value can you bring to customers?

Mind sharing what you do or who you work for?

PM maybe?
  • Options
    broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm a security consultant and assess industrial facilities around the globe. I do my fair bit of travel, but so far I really enjoy the work. My advice would be not to chase money but roles that will differentiate you from the pack. I left a lot of money on the table staying at my old job, but the knowledge and experience was invaluable. When I got this job, I went up 44% in pay.