Options

WGU - Transfers

TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
After quite a hiatus due to some complex and lengthy recent projects at work... I'm back! icon_wink.gif

I'm finally considering pursuing my BS through WGU...and eventually an MS. I've submitted my application on-line but haven't yet spoke to my enrollment counselor.

I'm sure there's a post in here somewhere regarding how much WGU is willing to waive in the way of courses due to previous college courses and IT Certifications but I just wanted to hear from some current students/alumni how generous they are in that category.

Is there a set limit you can waive? I did some calculating myself by looking through the Transfer Site and what they will except in the way of course work and certifications, and by my calculations I could probably waive close to half of the CUs required.

For those who transferred to WGU in the past...Did they except a lot of your credits?
* Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
* Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
* Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration

Comments

• Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    There is no way to know for sure until you submit your transcripts for eval. After that anything you feel should be waived that isn't just put in a request for reconsideration and explain why course by course.

I believe I read somewhere years ago that someone came in with like 89 CUs transferred.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There is a limit but it's high, if you think they'll waive up to half you aren't near that limit so you'll be fine. They won't accept certs or IT courses over 5 years old, so if a bunch of your classes are older than that you'll lose a lot, I did. On the plus side if you actually know the material you'll be able to test out of it fairly quickly.
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I think the max is something like 70% or something. It's pretty generous. I got credit for all of the Microsoft and CompTIA stuff I had, in addition to prior college credits.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Just remember that all certs are only good if obtained within the last 5 years.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    ITBotITBot Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    All of my community college credits were accepted, so I only had pure IT courses to take from WGU which was very nice. They accepted my A+ cert as well which was 3 years old at the time.
  • Options
    FYI..for those curious: The total number of CU's you can transfer in (both College Courses and Certifications) is 90.

Spoke with my Enrollment Counselor yesterday and currently working on getting the Transcript Evaluation done.

Looking forward to getting the ball rolling on this! icon_thumright.gif
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • Options
    ArmyGuy45ArmyGuy45 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Started my process as well!!
  • Options
    ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I Transfered my AA from Ashworth college in an It waived all of the Gen ed classes. That was awesome than I got credit for my comptia certs and CISSP.
    I find your lack of Cloud Security Disturbing!!!!!!!!!
    Connect with me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/myerscraig

• Options
    Sooo...I received my Transcript Evaluation today and they accepted a total of 84 Credits (using my AAS and Certifications). Not too bad! icon_cheers.gif That leaves only 36 credits to complete the BS Program! It's too bad my A+ is ancient, that would've waived a few more courses, but overall I'm pleased. Should be speaking with my enrollment counselor later today about getting signed up. I'll keep everyone in the loop! icon_thumright.gif