Options

Best certification for next move in my career?

sschwietermansschwieterman Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I hope this is the right place to post this. (Seems more job related that certification related.) Here's a quick backstory of my current situation:

I have been working for a local municipality as an IT Technician for the past year and a half. In my current role I share a lot of responsibilities with our Network Admin and our Systems Admin, more so on the network side. My ultimate goal is to be in network engineering/architecture so I recently got my CCNA.

I feel that I'm not learning as much at my current job recently and would like a more serious role in networking. The network at my current job is a simple router-on-a-stick setup, no dynamic routing (just a single static route out our firewall), and CCNA topics are pretty much as in depth as we go here. Because of this, I have begun job hunting and would like some advice as to what additional certification might look best on a resume for someone looking to be in a networking role.

To anyone with experience, do you think getting the CCNP or CCNA: Security certification would be more valuable on a resume to a potential hiring employer?

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CCNP would be MUCH more valuable than a CCNA Security. CCNA Security isn't a bad cert, but it's not as recognizable and it's a tier below the CCNP. I'd definitely go that route and you'll be fairly marketable with that cert and your networking experience.
  • Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The CCNP is far, far more interesting to employers than the CCNA:Security, unless by some chance you are trying to get a role that is specifically focused on ASA administration (and even then, most hiring managers I know would pick the CCNP 9 times out of 10). I'd go for the NP and/or maybe the CCDA if that path seems interesting to you. Alternatively, how about learning some Linux, Python, and Ansible?
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are you looking to stay pure networking role or move to a role with security responsibilities? The CCNP with some experience would definitely put you in a position to move up.

I asked myself the same question when I was trying to move out of help desk. I ultimately ended up in a security position before I completed my NP, so it has been put on the back burner. You mileage may vary based on your location, but locally there was no real emphasis put into the CCNA:Security, so at least for me NP was the clear choice. I recommend poking around some local job postings and see where companies are pushing the most interest.
  • Options
    Thanks all for the awesome feedback!

I should have mentioned that either way my goal is to eventually get the CCNP, but I thought it might be hard to find a job with limited use of the skills associated with the cert, and maybe having the CCNA: Security would make me more hireable to a CCNP-level employer that was willing to pick up someone with less of that experience.

I plan on doing the CCDP as well as learning Python, so I think we're on the same page aftereffector!

Mooseboost, I also wouldn't mind a role with security responsibilities, as I know that market is in demand right now.
  • Options
    DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Getting both would be the most valuable.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Unless you plan to follow the whole Security path, I think that your time would be better utilized doing another cert. In interviews for security analyst positions (as well as other mid level positions) I don't think anyone really knew what the CCNA Security was. I've also never seen it asked for a job posting.
  • Options
    ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□
    GO IE that will really get you a job
    I find your lack of Cloud Security Disturbing!!!!!!!!!
    Connect with me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/myerscraig

• Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Hi all,
    My ultimate goal is to be in network engineering/architecture so I recently got my CCNA.

Do your NP, you can always follow up with the NA+SEC later but the NP will get you much farther for now and where you end up you may not use ASA but Palo, Fortinet, etc instead.
  • Options
    bettsy584bettsy584 Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah go with CCNP over another CCNA, I have a few CCNA's and it never seems to make any difference. What I mean is I am normally just referred to as a CCNA, not a multi-CCNA in DC, R&S etc. So for value go up the stack.
  • Options
    Thank you all again for great advice!

I was leaning more towards doing the CCNA: Security when I started this thread, but now I am for sure going to go ahead with CCNP!
  • Options
    nikalisnikalis Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ccna security is a single exam though. vs 3 for an np. just something to consider
    To Script or not to Script, that is the question.

MSCA [ ] 70-410 [ ] 70-411 [ ] 70-412
    CCNA [X] 100-101 [ ] 200-101
  • Options
    KrekenKreken Member Posts: 284
    I think CCDA will give you the biggest bang for your buck at the moment. Search Indeed for CCDA and see what comes up. While it doesn't go really deep into the design, it lays a decent foundation and exposes you to all parts of the network. I think this is important to see how it all comes together even if it is presented at the high level. Plus... it's only one exam vs three to get CCNP. After CCDA, get a new job where you actually do network engineering and start working on CCNP.
  • Options
    TrucidoTrucido Member Posts: 250 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I currently have no certifications but I had the same question. I feel like everyones saying the same thing here and the best route = CCENT -> CCNA -> CCNP
    Now if you're like me and you're way behind on networking in general, it may be best to go from CCNA to CCNA R&S -> CCNA Security -> CCNP
    Simply because I don't believe I would have the ability to move from CCENT directly into CCNA then directly to CCNP without learning from R&S / S.
    But thats just because im a noob.

Edit: Also ITIL if you dont have it already. Good to have for anyone. Could lead to Sr / management alot quicker if thats what youre into.
    2017 Certification Goals
    CompTIA A+ [ ] CompTIA Net+ [ ] CompTIA Sec+ [ ] CCENT [ ] ITIL [ ]
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    At the risk of sounding like a jerk, going for ITIL is just an easy win which IMO is okay....... However getting something of substance like the CCNA is a game changer, at least from my 10+ year of experience it what I have seen. When I was on the desk, guys who took the time to learn networking and get the CCNA usually ended on going to higher level contracts or up within the company. I can't recall someone getting the ITIL stand alone and it leading to greener pastures.