CSC BA. Do I have a chance to start a new Career?

OceanViewOceanView Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

I just stumbled onto this website today and am intrigued to ask this question to all you seasoned techies.

I received a BA in CSC in the early 90's but I never went into the field. I got a job that was in the sales and never kept up with my programming skills. 25 years later, I am back and want to pursue a career back into something computer related but I fear that my skills are no longer needed and to be honest, I forgot most of it.

When I search CSC jobs, I see a lot of new languages and certifications that are required and I have no idea which to pick. I guess I am at a loss and wonder what you might recommend to someone like me.
Do I go back to school? and if so, which language should I study?

Thanks all.

Comments

• jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wouldn't bother with going back to school but I suggest you take courses from Udacity, Coursera, codeacademy.com (if you want to program) and get those achievement certifications/letters of completion. Once you get enough lab/work experience, pursue a professional certificate like RHCE, CISSP, VCP, PMP, etc.

IT is just not about programming, it'a whole lot of other things like security, networking, servers, virtualization, project management, analytics, etc, etc.

You need found out what field in IT motivates you.
  • ElGato127ElGato127 Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm also trying to find my niche in IT and/or computer science. Any ideas for how to explore my options? Working helpdesk right now.
  • ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ElGato127 wrote: »
    I'm also trying to find my niche in IT and/or computer science. Any ideas for how to explore my options? Working helpdesk right now.

Continue to work at the Help Desk and learn all you can. Depending on where you want to do, it would be good to lay a foundation with the CompTia A+ or CompTia Net+. Then study and see where you want to go and begin to study and create a plan to get there....
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • OceanViewOceanView Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was reading on another thread about Pre-Sales jobs.
    Maybe this is something that I could do right away as I can get my foot in the door and work on Certs afterwards.