Options

If you get chance check out the Murach SQl Server Dev 2012 book

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
Lots of good information in there I mean a lot. Not a cert book but one of the very best reference manuals I have ever seen. I just sometimes just thumb through it and pick up all sorts of nuggets.

Comments

• Options
    nachodbanachodba Member Posts: 201 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the recommendation, just ordered the 2016 version.
    2020 Goals
    work-life balance
  • Options
    It won't disappoint I am dead serious. He covers everything, using complex Derived Tables, CTE's, TEMP Tables and all sorts of crazy aggregating etc. That's just the first 5 - 6 chapters, out of 24 or so....
  • Options
    nachodba wrote: »
    Thanks for the recommendation, just ordered the 2016 version.
    Did you ever get the 2016 version, if so how do you like it?

IMO it's the Darryl Gibson Security + book in the SQL world. It's amazing, at least I think so.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    sold on amazon?
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    https://www.amazon.com/Murachs-SQL-Server-2016-Developers/dp/1890774960

Oh yeah and it's beastly. If you know this book inside and out you are worth 100,000 easy in mid markets and 140+ in large markets, of course this is just my opinion. This book will give you all the techniques you need to be a successful SQL user / programmer, even some DBA task.

It covers crazy weird things like 4 different types of lockings, all sorts of things. You could spend a year on this book and still need another year to learn it all. It's that thick in content.
  • Options
    nachodbanachodba Member Posts: 201 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Did you ever get the 2016 version, if so how do you like it?

IMO it's the Darryl Gibson Security + book in the SQL world. It's amazing, at least I think so.

Yes, it arrived and I've been skimming through it. I can't wait to get some time to start working with it.
    2020 Goals
    work-life balance
  • Options
    Sweet keep us posted!
  • Options
    Went old school today. Hit the windowing section, page 200 and ended up using a really cool COUNT OVER PARTITION with an aggregate in the partitioning, instead of rejoining to a view 3 times I was able to set it up with the count over, much much better solution.

I also used a SUM(CASE WHEN statement, I was coding the SUM in the case and was having to group and it was jacking up my result set, I saw a great example of enclosing the case with the SUM, really cool.....
  • Options
    Did you all get a chance to review the book? Thoughts?

I really like it, in fact I am going to use the XML chapter to solidify the nuggets I have been watching.