Options

How soon do you update your resume.

$bvb379$bvb379 Member Posts: 155
After you have started a new position, how early do you start putting what you do/what technologies you have touched on your resume/linkedin?

Comments

• Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ...asap
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    ITSpectreITSpectre Member Posts: 1,040 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Usually its good to put them on your resume ASAP. As for the new position I would at least wait 3 months into the job to put it on your resume. The reason why, you may/may not like the new job so if you only stay there for 1-2 months then move to a better job I feel its not worth listing on your resume.
    In the darkest hour, there is always a way out - Eve ME3 :cool:
    “The measure of an individual can be difficult to discern by actions alone.” – Thane Krios
  • Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Post them ASAP - also make a habit to update your resume / linked in at least once a year, regardless of position.
  • Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    always. that way when a new opportunity presents itself you dont lose a week or two trying to cram something together at the last minute. having that updated resume you've proofread 10 times over 3 years means it's perfect and ready to go out the door as soon as necessary
  • Options
    devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I like to make that my first project, my first day on the job. Its nice to do it in front of your boss too so they know how proud you are to be employed.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Usually when I finish a bigger project I'll put it on. I like to limit my bullets to about 5 and occasionally delete the least impressive. I don't update linkedin until I'm job hunting.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I copied and pasted the job description into a new box for my CV. I'll review it in 3-6 months and see if it was right.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Right away by using the job description from the new role as a template and then adjust every 3-6 months or any time a new responsibility or knowledge is gained on the job.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My CV is continuously updated. Every time I touch a new technology I write a few details on Notepad and update my resume that night.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    mackenzaemackenzae Member Posts: 77 ■□□□□□□□□□
    gorebrush wrote: »
    I copied and pasted the job description into a new box for my CV. I'll review it in 3-6 months and see if it was right.

So far from my experience job descriptions posted by companies are never accurate and hardly in line with expectations.. either they expect way more or they won't even let you do what the position was advertised to do.
  • Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My CV is a living document. I update it daily as its a replica of myself on paper/screen.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Usually weekly as I will likely touch any number of technologies in a given day. Some ideas or experiences become bullet points for use on later targeted resumes.

Its a bit different for consultants and contractors than the "company man/woman/person" who is or wants to stay with a company for longer than the norm as well.

Just depends on your career horizon.

- b/eads
  • Options
    ChadiusChadius Member Posts: 313 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm finding it hard to say what projects I work on. They all seem so run of the mill, that putting them on a resume would seem dumb.

Like: converting 500+ users to Windows 10 and Office 2013.

or

Wrote a batch file to go thru and take a certain piece of software off all the networked PC's. (not being specific)

Just seems those would be duh moments rather than something to show off.

Sorry about hi-jacking your thread. Was just on my mind, and figured I would ask.
  • Options
    Chadius wrote: »
    I'm finding it hard to say what projects I work on. They all seem so run of the mill, that putting them on a resume would seem dumb.

Like: converting 500+ users to Windows 10 and Office 2013.

or

Wrote a batch file to go thru and take a certain piece of software off all the networked PC's. (not being specific)

Just seems those would be duh moments rather than something to show off.

Sorry about hi-jacking your thread. Was just on my mind, and figured I would ask.

This is pretty relevant. We support small business and whatever they need we do, we don't say "no we don't/can't do that." We have been regularly migrating people from windows 7 to windows 10 as well. We also support 3rd party software if the customer wants, which is odd because support is free but most of the time they still want us to do it and then we charge them for it (we bill by the hour). I was thinking like "support small businesses with their technology needs including but not limited to....(insert a bunch of keywords here)."
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'd say asap with every interesting project to update it because if you choose to look for a new position a few years down line you might forget to mention certain things.
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'll usually update LinkedIn to reflect the new job immediately. From there I try to keep a log of what I did each day to make it easier to go back and condense my daily activities into bullet points for my resume. Then every few months I try to make/update the bullet points. I'll usually update the resume when I decide I want to start looking for another job.
  • Options
    For example, this is what I just threw on my LinkedIn. I feel that it is important I have something on there.

• Assist small businesses with technology needs including but not limited to networking, VOIP, Windows, Office 365, printers, and 3rd party applications. Methods for support include remote (Citrix GoToAssist, LogMeIn and Remote Desktop Protocol), email, telephone, and on-site.
    • Perform ad-hoc troubleshooting based on the customer’s needs.
    • Utilize Intuit Quickbase and ConnectWise for technical documentation and knowledge bases.
    • Create technical documentation and processes as needed.
    • Act as administrator of user accounts in Office 365, Server 2003, Server 2008 (R2), and Server 2012 (R2).
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Every 2 months or so I make sure it is relevant.
    Any new tech I work on that I am FAMILIAR with I put on there.
    But I try to always note what I am doing otherwise I'll forget. I can clean it up later when I am ready to look for a job again if need be.
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The last few times I've updated it where when I was looking for a new job. I keep my LinkedIn updated more frequently.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity