Options

Certification Combo for Network Engineer?

TrucidoTrucido Member Posts: 250 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone!

I recently found this site and have been lurking in the shadows, learning everything I could, reading about everyone's IT experience. Not just with certifications but with jobs, salaries, and general IT tips as well.

A little background on myself; I am 27, I am from Ohio, I have no certifications, I have been in IT since 2011 and I have been working with computers since I was 8 years old. I started as a Verizon FiOS call center rep troubleshooting hardware/software issues. Then I moved onto a Help Desk role for Ascena Retail, doing more of the same really, basic troubleshooting of software/hardware in a retail environment. I am currently working at a top 50 bank for the east coast, as Internal Help Desk again. I've been getting experience in the basic understanding of a lot of various tools. Active Directory, Remote Tools (VMware ect), LDAP, Novell, ect...

My problem thus far is all of the job offers I can get are going to be under 20 dollars an hour as a Level 1 Analyst; mostly contractor/to-hire. The average pay is about 15-18 dollars an hour. I really love the customer service aspect of the help desk roles I have been in thus far, and the knowledge I am getting from all the random issues that come from a business / retail environment. But I am realizing, I am almost 30 now, I have no Certifications, I still only qualify for Entry Tier1-2 Help Desk positions. I don't want to be stuck making 15/hr for my entire life. It's already a struggle with money as it is, I can't imagine what it'd be like if I had to support kids too.

I am highly interested in a career change, through my research I have done thus far and my own preferences, I would prefer to become a Network Engineer and move up from there. I currently have no true networking knowledge other than the basics a 7 yr old now-a-days knows (tracert/ipconfig/ping/ect) so I am looking for some advice on how to accomplish this goal.

Questions:
1) Where should I start?
- My plan right now is to start from the basics, A+ then N+ then S+ certificate, but I don't know if I would be wasting my time if there are other routes I could go for the same knowledge.
2) What Certifications or Combos would I want to improve my hire-ability and increase my salary?
- I've been reading about CCENT/CCNA can start out with 0 experience for 50-80,000 a year. But what else really helps get that IOC/NOC/Network Engineer career going?
3) What other goals should I look at other than basic certs coupled with CCENT/CCNA?
- I've pondered getting the ITIL because literally everyone can use it and it would probably even help to get a Leadership/management role if the opportunity presents itself. MSCE looks valuable to me as well.
4) The CCENT test changes August 20th of this year, it cuts down from 7 modules to 5, does this mean its going to be easier?
5) Can CCNA/CCIE get jobs in information security (I hear its 100k+ easy) rather than just Network engineer? If not, what certs should I pursue to get into Information security part of networking?
6) Any other recommendations for me on the beginning of my journey?

I look forward to hearing from everyone! Thank you in advance.
2017 Certification Goals
CompTIA A+ [ ] CompTIA Net+ [ ] CompTIA Sec+ [ ] CCENT [ ] ITIL [ ]