Man for the life of me I can't leave a FTE position for a contract even 1 year

2»

Comments

• YesOffenseYesOffense Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm sure your entire benefits package costs way more than 12k, not to mention the extra pto. Nah. That 12k will be all gone on one surprise medical bill.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good Medical is worth it's weight in gold. Right now I pay less then 3 grand a year for medical coverage for me and my Wife, the cheapest open market medical coverage would cost almost 9 grand. The best coverage would cost $21,600 a year, and it's still not as good as the medical plan I have with my employer, but its pretty close.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not to hijack the thread but...

I am in a similar situation. Wife and kid with another on the way. Have a pretty nice sized emergency fund saved for a rainy day. Have an opportunity to change from 'IT Technician' (FTE, $40k) to 'Network Engineer' (Contract-to-hire, $60k).

Does this change any opinions? I feel like this could be a great opportunity to move forward in my career.

If you've been waiting to move into a network role, personally I wouldn't pass. This is from someone who has a stay at home wife and a kid on the way as well. I had to go the Contract-to-hire route as well to move up within networking, granted I wasn't married and no kid. As long as you're confident in your technical and soft skills you shouldn't have any problems. All of my contract-to-hire roles they typically offered me FTE earlier than what the contract stated once I proved my value. Just my 2 cents.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My take, if you live a relatively modest lifestyle, have enough stashed away to cover the deductible on a high-deductible health plan, another 6 months of expenses (note: not salary, expenses), and have gotten a good start already on your retirement savings, jumping on a contract gig that would open doors for you down the line would definitely land on the good side of risk/reward in my opinion even with the wife and kids. Most married with children people seem to be at a point where it would be too risky for them, though.

My goal is to be where contract or perm is completely irrelevant to me within two years, giving me lots more freedom to select gigs that appeal to me; just have to get these expenses down some more.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...